Installing "themes" into os 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ardenlester00, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ardenlester00 macrumors newbie

Hello Again - nice to be back to this friendly place

I have 10.5.8 on my Mini. I began using IMovie and found that "somehow" the "Theme" folder(s) was/were not installed into my OS for IMovie.

I cannot re-install the original 10.5.x because "10.5.6 will not install over a 10.5.8."

I extracted the "Theme" folders from the original OS using Pacifist.

Now I have a couple Theme folders to put into the OS on my mini. How do I do that?

Is it even possible to insert stuff into the OS?

Thank You,

Dennis

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iMovie is not part of the OS: it's just an application. So you are not "inserting stuff into the OS". Nothing to worry about there.

All you need to do is find the correct location for the Themes. It should be in Application Support. Assuming you want them installed for all users that should be in /Library/Application Support/iMovie/Themes/ (note the themes go in here, not the Themes folders).

3. ardenlester00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Robbie

Robbie,

Thank you for insight (that I didn't have - never did! chuckle)

I did as you suggested - and guess what? There is no iMovie listed in that area - just iDVD, etc. But, under iDVD are the folders for the themes that are requested in the iMovies' directions for finishing off the production.

My guess is that it requests the info in iMovies but draws from the "Themes" in the iDVD when the movie is in production. (that's my simple explanation - or is it "hopeful"?)

I used Pacifist to withdraw the iMovie again from the Application dvd and re-installed it correctly. Still "iMovie and "Themes" were not put in that section under Library (or anywhere that I could find).

Now, I will go back to work on the movie and see if this time it pulls in the Theme so the production isn't blocked again (as it has again and again) sigh!

Thank you so much for your help. I learned MUCHO today from your clear, concise direction.

Dennis

4. ardenlester00, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

ardenlester00 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Themes" problem in iMovie 9

Hello Again,

Well, I installed, re-installed and re-re-installed the iMovie, individual components into the areas you mentioned (tho' there was no iMovie listed in "Library/Application Support" I even made a folder and put the Themes from iDVD in it - to no avail.

I re-tried making a movie and it rejected it (after waiting an hour for the process) and it rejected it again - had to start all over and use another program, not iDVD.

I caught a glimpse on Amazon.com that the "Theme" thing was non-operable for them also.

I hate to bother you, but do you have a Plan B and/or Plan C (chuckle)

Thanks,

Dennis

ps Is there an option in the Forum for having responses sent to my e-mail? (I couldn't find one)

5. ardenlester00, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

ardenlester00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Robbie,

Problem solved. I caught a hint somewhere that Quicktime is sometimes a problem with iMovie.
    So, I re-installed Quicktime - the latest edition - and, Shazaam! iMovie now recognizes its "Themes".

Thank you for your help. I had forgotten how-to "look into" stuff like this!

Friend,

Dennis