Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Help, is pretty much all I can say; HEEEEEEEELP!!!;)

I have a G3 iBook, 600MHz, 2 USB slots, 1 firewire slot, DVD ROM/CDRW with 640Mb. I bought a Tiger DVD which on the front says:

"Mac OS X Tiger. Includes Xcode 2. Install DVD. Version 10.4.6."

It came as new, inside a Mac OS X box (no grey installation discs - just 1 black DVD). But...it won't install on my iBook. In fact, it won't even mount on my desktop! I've tried holding "C" on startup but that won't help. Incidentally, I can't repair permissions (I just get "No valid packages (-9997)") but that seems to be the only thing going on with my Mac! Any ideas to get this show on the road?

mofs

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
If you have another Mac.... you can put your iBook into Firewire Disk Mode by holding down the T button as the iBook boots up. Then you can connect it via firewire to another Mac.... pop the Install DVD into that Mac.... and install on the iBook as if it were an external drive.

Either that....or your copy is made for an Intel machine?

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
If you have another Mac.... you can put your iBook into Firewire Disk Mode by holding down the T button as the iBook boots up. Then you can connect it via firewire to another Mac.... pop the Install DVD into that Mac.... and install on the iBook as if it were an external drive.

Either that....or your copy is made for an Intel machine?

I did think that, 'tho the DVD box says that the requirements are "Power PC G5, G4 or G3 processor; built in FireWire, 256MB of physical RAM; DVD drive for installation".

:confused:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Since you say it does not mount. Do other DVD's mount on your desktop, not CD's, since cd's can work when dvd's do not, but actual DVD data or video discs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.