installing tiger on a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grantica, Feb 7, 2008.

1. grantica macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm going to buy a new MBP (when and if the new ones come out).
    It will come with os Leopard installed on it but as I use ProTools I need to run Tiger. Now I've heard that I can't put anything less than 10.4.6 on an intel mac. is this true? and if it is where can I get a retail copy of Tiger since apple no longer sells it?
    Any help would be great,
    Thanks.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Your best bet's to either obtain restore disks from eBay/Craigslist/friend, or to order them directly from Apple. There's no telling if older restore disks will work with newer MBPs, so I'd personally call Apple and inquire there.

3. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure Apple ever released 10.4 for Intel retail, because in order to purchase it, you would need an Intel Mac, which would come with a 10.4 restore disc.

Best bet is to try and snag a MBP restore CD off of ebay or something but if you wait for the new MBP revision, the hardware ID will change and the restore disc may end up refusing to install.

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Mine came with Tiger installed and Leopard in the box. Hopefully that will happen to you.

5. f1 macrumors 6502

Visit your local apple store. My local one is STILL selling MBPs with Tiger pre-installed, and Leopard drop kits for you whenever you're ready.