Installing Tiger on a new MB, problem!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jerry2ono, Feb 5, 2008.

1. jerry2ono macrumors newbie

Hello all, i have a MB that has Leopard pre-installed and now i HAVE TO install tiger to run some applications as Leopard still doesn't support it. Somehow after i put in the Tiger installation disc (10.4.10 that came with my iMac), there was an alert pop up and said "the software cannot be installed on this hard drive." I have already partitioned the Hard Disk and not sure what is the issue... is it the GUID format that i read about somewhere? or is there some kind of restriction ? and is it recommended not to install OS on a second partitioned drive? Please... could anyone help?

Thanks!!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if your machine came with Leopard pre-installed im pretty sure Tiger cannot be installed as the retail Tiger DVD was only PPC and Tiger installation discs for other macs wont work as they are machine specific.

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

that's correct :)

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

First of all, the OS X disks that come with Macs work only with the same type of Macs with which they ship.

Secondly, if Leopard is the default OS of the computer, earlier versions won't work on it.

Hope this makes it clear.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is how it is and all, but i really think Apple should make a legal way for users that came with Macs pre-installed with Leopard to install Tiger for the OP's and other users in the same situation sake's.

6. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

so i guess buying a new HDD is the first step...?:confused:

and moreover... i will need to get a MacBook version of Tiger? is there one? i think i can get the discs that came with the 1st Gen of MacBook from a friend... will that work? can it support the new graphic card?

this whole thing is so dumb as i have 2 Mac and after all Leopard is the only thing that is causing all the problems...

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That won't help you at all. If the version of MB you have ever shipped with Tiger then you can install Tiger on it if you can get the restore discs for an identical MacBook from before Leopard shipped. If that particular machine has only ever shipped with Leopard you are out of luck: no version of Tiger has platform drivers for it.

Eitherway: it's nothing to do with the hard drive.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Simple solution to the problem. Attach your MB to the iMac via firewire and boot the MB in target disk mode (CMD-T on boot). This will make it look like another HD attached to the iMac

Then install Tiger from your existing DVD, making sure you install to the correct drive!

Once done, close down both machines (iMac first), then reboot the MB normally - you should, in theory, find that it will boot up safely into Tiger.

Second alternative is simply to go through the target mode steps and then use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your iMac boot drive onto the MacBook.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That will only work if the version of Tiger he has has platform drivers for that hardware. If Tiger never shipped on those MacBooks (or perhaps if his version of Tiger is older than the MacBooks) you will get a panic on boot as the system will not find platform drivers.

10. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

Got ya. Thanks so much.

so it means i have to wait for the update of this particular software... which, has been 3 months...

11. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

now i see some lights. ;)

never knew i could do that, will try the 1st solution for sure! but regarding the display card, it will still work fine right? if i'd better off leave the Leopard alone, it shall work in this way for a new HDD, is it correct? it's only a matter of kinda tricking the system?

for the second solution, just out of curiosity... the Macbook will still behave as usual? e.g. display cards, etc.. as i just wonder the spec is a bit different.

Thanks so much for the help.

12. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

hey robbie, could you recommend a way to check if the OS i have has the platform drivers? Thanks!

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not something I know how to do. You'd need to examine the .kext files and have a quite detailed knowledge of what you are looking for. What, exact, MacBook do you have? If it's the current model (Santa-Rosa) then it shipped with Leopard so the chances are no version of Tiger has the correct drivers. You might get lucky with a very late version of Tiger, but I'd say it's unlikely.

14. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i do have a Santa-Rosa version of MB.

OS version on my iMac says 10.4.11, hardware-wise it's a 2.4G C2D (bought it when it first turned silver... can't remember when) while my MB is a 2.2G C2D and shipped with Leopard (bought it late Dec 07).

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are happy wiping the MacBook I'd suggest trying the target disk mode suggestion above. Best case: it'll work. Worst case: you need to reinstall the MacBook with Tiger...

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You mean Leopard :p

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Doh! I was actually thinking about the work I'm (meant to be) doing instead of what I was typing :eek:

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The chipset, trackpad, keyboard, etc. may be supported under Tiger -- since these were used in the iMac and MBP.

The sticky may be the Intel GMA 3100 video from the MacBook -- that may not work even if you can load the OS on it.

19. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually don't mind wiping it as i am quite happy with Tiger.

if...i mean if... the GMA 3100 doesnt work, does it mean

[​IMG]

the only way would be reinstalling using target disk mode...

so confused.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you get no graphics under Tiger simply reboot with the Leopard restore DVD in and hold down the correct key to boot from the DVD (the D key iirc)...

21. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

You're one letter off :p Hold down the "C" key on the keyboard to boot from the Leopard DVD.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For some reason I thought they had changed it from C (for CD?) to D (for DVD?) when they went Intel...

Edit to add: here are all the keys. D is for hardware test...

23. jerry2ono thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, finally i tried it. Method One of what Tersono suggested, Firewired both iMac and MacBook. Tiger was successfully installed on my MB and it's running!! no problem with the display and chipset (disc: 10.4.10 that came with iMac). don't have time to test out the whole thing yet, will keep you guys updated if something bad happens.

Thanks so much guys! especially Tersono for the suggestion.

Jerry