Installing Tiger on a PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sucramdi, Jun 23, 2012.

1. sucramdi macrumors member

I've decided I want to install Tiger on PowerBook G4 (latest model model, 1.67ghz, 1gb DDR2...) over the current install of Leopard. Whenever I boot the install CD it stops at the blank blue screen right after the grey Apple logo. The superdrive keeps going for about a minute then it stops and stays there forever. I've used the disc before so I know it works, and the PowerBook stops at the grey Apple logo with my panther install Cd's too. There is no issue using the superdrive for watching movies so I'm guessing it works fine. Anyone know what might be going on?

EDIT: just thought I should add that both the Tiger and Panther CD's are readable by Leopard, when they're on the desktop I can browse the files and click the restart button so it boots off the CD.

2. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Are the CDs gray? If so that might be the problem.

3. sucramdi thread starter macrumors member

No, they're the retail discs. Forgot to mention that.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

I would try with an external cd drive and see what happens

5. sucramdi thread starter macrumors member

I don't have one, but I could I try a remote install with my PC using remote disc?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you used that disc on that machine before? Exactly which version of Tiger is the disc? You could also set the disc as the startup disc from within Leopard then restart while holding Command-V to start up in verbose boot to see where it hangs.

7. sucramdi thread starter macrumors member

Its the retail CD of tiger, version 10.4. Its the first time I use any install discs on the computer, I just bought it a few weeks ago. This is what you get from verbose mode, not sure what it means, but about a second after that comes up it goes to the blue screen like before.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the disc is 10.4.0, it cannot be used on the last G4 PowerBook made. That model needs 10.4.2 or newer. A 10.4.3 retail is likely the lowest retail disc it could use. Couldn't really get much from the verbose boot as far as using it to help solve this problem.

9. kaielement macrumors 65816

I don't know if that would work. But I know you can boot to a disc from an external cd drive. I had an old white MacBook with a dead cd drive (basically it was really old and drive went out) and I did a reinstall using an external drive.

10. sucramdi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that's probably the problem because I've only ever used this disc on older G3 and early G4 macs. I'll see if I can get a hold of a newer disc.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have a FireWire cable you can connect the 1.67Ghz Powerbook G4 to an older G4 with the 1.67Ghz in Target Disc Mode and use the older G4 to install from that Tiger disc with. Then update Tiger to 10.4.11 using the older G4 then startup from the 1.67Ghz Powerbook.

12. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Can this be done? I thought one needed to boot from the install disk to load them.

13. sucramdi thread starter macrumors member

Yes you can, its called target disk mode. The Mac in target disk mode essentially becomes an external drive and you can do whatever you want with it.

14. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I just got a new SSD and I figured out how to do this by loading OS X from a USB stick. Pretty simple, thanks!