Installing Tiger on an iMac that came with Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ladybug, May 14, 2008.

1. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My iMac came with Leopard, and for the most part I love it. However I've been having nothing but trouble with my mouse..should read mice because I've tried 3 different mice and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, even after reinstalling. So my question is, is there anyway I can buy a copy of Tiger from Apple for this computer or am I stuck with Leopard?

Mouse problem I'm having is no double clicks register, only some single clicks register, and I can't even switch tracks in iTunes anymore with my mouse. I've tried resetting the Pram and reinstalling Leopard, including swapping USB ports to no avail...If anyone knows how to fix this I'd be forever greatfull for your help. :confused:

2. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I could be wrong but this doesn't sound like a Leopard problem or surely it would be much more widespread. Sounds more like a hardware problem to me. Do you have an Apple Store nearby that you could take it to for inspection by a Mac Genius?

Regards,
    Craig.

3. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I assume you have the previous iMac, not the one that just was released, because the new one will not work with Tiger.
    The previous iMac was originally shipped with Mac OS X 10.4.10.
    However, I am not sure if Apple will ship you older copies of the OS. Maybe some reseller in your neighbourhood still has copies? Mac OS X 10.4.11 will also work of course.

5. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I recall there being an option to buy it in the Apple online store, still.

May be worth looking.

I think they do it just to get rid of stock and for people who never got around to upgrading who want to give it a try, or for people wanting to downgrade on a computer that didn't come with it but can run it.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Tiger on Intel has never been sold at any retail store. Apple has only offered it as a restore disk for new Macs. I would recommend reinstalling Leopard rather than take it so far as changing the entire OS, that's a bit extreme don't you think? You should never align your issues with someone else's no matter how similar they are, doesn't mean the cause is the same. First reinstall Leopard and I would HIGHLY recommend erasing and installing and not Archive and Install.

7. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Yes it was the previou iMac.. aluminum but purchased this year in Feb. I believe. It shipped with Leopard only. Would a retail copy work on this computer if I found the right version?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, as stated, Tiger WITH Intel support has never been sold at retail.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They never sold the Tiger on Intel disks retail, only came with new Intel Macs, so the only way to get one would be to find a friend with an Intel Mac with Tiger, or on fleabay.

10. Ladybug thread starter macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I have reinstalled Leopard, from scratch not the archive and install and it does the same thing. I'm not aligning myself with their problem, my computer simply does the same things they described much better than I could. I've googled for answers to the problem which led me to the link.

I'll give a reinstall one more try but I'm not optimistic. The mouse seems to work fine initially, but after applying the updates, the mouse goes bonkers. Maybe thats the answer, to just not update as a temporary fix but I kind of like knowing my computer is fully protected with all updates. Anyway thanks so much for the help. :)

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Why don't you just call Apple and get your iMac fixed? You still have time on your warranty.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. This will not work unless your friend has the same model Mac.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah. TBO this is simply the best option.

Trying to find an iMac Alu Core 2 Duo Mac OS X 10.4.10 restore DVD will probably be hard to find, and therefore very frustrating. As said a couple of times a Retail x86 Tiger has never been released, so I would try correcting the issue running Leopard.
    Not everyone running Leopard on that iMac has this issue, so it should be able to be fixed.