Installing Tiger on External Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ross.32, May 20, 2008.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP running Leopard and I am trying to install Tiger onto a partition on an external USB drive. I get through the installation of the first disk and the computer will restart and then a error message will say that "You cannot install OS X on this volume".

I tired deleting the partition and making it again and it did not work. I also made sure that it was a GUID partition, and it is. Any ideas?

Once that problem is fixed, I have one more. I have VMWare Fusion and I use it to run my Boot Camp partition of Windows sometimes if I do not feel like booting into Windows natively. Is there anyway way to run Tiger inside of Leopard like I do with Windows using Fusion? I do not see any options to select a partition as the source for a virtual machine other than the boot camp one (which came up automatically if i remember)?

Thanks,

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot run Tiger inside virtualisation software: Apple ensured it was against the EULA so all the vendors make it impossible. You can virtualise Leopard Sever (but not standard Leopard).

3. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure? A few months ago I got my old HP laptop running Tiger through the Windows version of VMWare for fun. I was curious to see if I could do it lol.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well it may be possible, but you are breaking the EULA and the vendors of the virtualisation software don't support it...

5. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even without being able to virtualize, any ideas on how to get it to install? I get the same error when trying to install it onto a partition on my HDD on my MBP.

The MBP that I am trying to install it from came with Leopard (it is the 2.6 Ghz that came out in November). The version of Tiger I am using one that came with an old MacBook that I have since upgraded to Leopard.

The first disk will install fine, but second disk never gets the chance to start. The error comes after the completion of the first DVD.

I tried installing it on a USB HDD partition and a partition on my MBP through target disk mode with the same result. Both are set up in GUID. Any ideas?