installing tiger on macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miguellovesjesu, Mar 28, 2009.

1. miguellovesjesu macrumors member

so one of my white macbooks HD crashed so i had to wipe out the HD. Now when i try to boot from the Tiger CD it just flashed a folder with a question mark and thats it, it wouldnt let me get farther

i thought maybe the DVD reader was bad so i inserted my Macbook Pro Leopard disks (obviously this wouldnt work of course because they are for my macbook pro and not the macbook. and there jsut restore disks) so it booted from the CD and it was reading, so i know its nothing with the dvd, its just that question mark thingy.

anyone know what that means? thanks a lot!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So it behaved in the same way with your MacBook Pro's disks?

3. miguellovesjesu thread starter macrumors member

no no. the MBP disks worked, it was just that tiger disk. For some reason the macbook was acting weird towards that CD because i had already used that CD before to install the OS and it all went swell. I used the MBP disks to use Disk Utility to format the HD.

HERE WAS MY SOLUTION:

unfortunately i was getting desperate and a little lazy so i just grabbed the dmg version of the OS and dragged it to my external USB. In order to install the contents i needed a Dual Layer DVD but i didnt have any so i used my USB. So, what i did was partition the HD in 2. One for the dmg and another to install it there. The installation partition was only 10GB, and the way i did this was i restored that partition with the dmg. I grabbed the dmg from my USB. Then it made it so that when it booted, it would boot from the installation HD (i hope this makes sense). Then i would choose the second partition (i called it Main HD) to install the OS on there. And bam.

though for some reason i had problems with it. 3x it failed (something about EpsonDrivers not installing) so what i ended up doing was making the installation HD bigger (i had it at 8GB and the dmg was about 7.5GB) and after that it worked. Though for me to do all this partitioning stuff i needed my MBP disks to use disk utility. Hope this helps anyone else in the future with installing an OS without the disks. :) cheers!!!