Installing Tiger on New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FrankJCurtin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. FrankJCurtin macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am sorry if this has been posted. i tried to do a search to help me out but was unsuccessful.

I just upgraded my hard drive to a 500gb hard drive on my 2006 macbook and need to reinstall Tiger. I seemed to have lost my installation disks when I moved. Since my friend has the same model as me, I borrowed hers but when I tried to install it, its says "this software cannot be installed on this computer." Is there a way to get around this? I tried partioning the hard drive but that didnt work either. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. cubeeggs macrumors member

Three MacBook revisions shipped with Tiger: Early 2006, Late 2006, and Mid 2007 (which actually starting shipping a day earlier in the year than Early 2006). I’m not sure exactly how the restrictions on the discs work, but it’s probably not the same model if the disc isn’t working. If you can’t tell the difference, the Early 2006 model had Core Duo used Core Duo processors rather than the newer Core 2 Duos, and the Mid 2007 model has a different keyboard.

You may be able to order replacement discs from Apple. I’ve never done this, but I just searched and they seem to be available for $35.