Installing tiger on OLD mac pros

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drachenfells, Jan 12, 2008.

1. drachenfells macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    now after the new mac pros are released i wanted to buy an old mac pro, because they got cheaper and because i hoped they run tiger. (which i need for my software..)

now i had a good deal with an mac pro dual 2,6 GHZ.
    But on this machine is "just" leopard, (we started it in the shop), and theres a LEOPARD dvd with it. so no tiger. now my questions is, is there a way to install tiger on it? if you have a dvd from an mac pro which shipped with tiger, can you install it on it?

i thought that if an apple computer is shipped for example with 10.4.7, there is no way to install ANY previous system versions on it, not even for example 10.4.6.
    i thought that this is taken care by apple in the firmware.

is this true? and if its not true, and you can install tiger with such dvd on an (old) leopard shipped mac, is there anything i will have to woory about? like many system crashes or not working drivers or anything?

thanks in advance!

drachenfells

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You should be able to install Tiger: some of those machines shipped with Tiger. It's nothing to do with the firmware: the drivers required to boot the machine are only included in OS version that shipped with the machine or later.

3. timestamp macrumors 6502

If it is a Mac Pro 2.66, you can most assuredly put Tiger on it. You would just need an install DVD with the minimum version of Tiger for the Mac Pro.

4. newtech macrumors 6502

You would need Mac Pro 10.4.x restore discs or the retail 10.4.8 OS X Server as those are the only way to install 10.4 on a Mac Pro ( the retail client OS X was frozen at 10.4.6 and the minimum OS for mac pro is 10.4.7 )