Installing Tiger on second HD on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by insch, Mar 19, 2009.

1. insch macrumors newbie

I have just got my 8-core Mac Pro and would like to install Tiger on a second internal drive. I need this to run a couple of apps that won't work on Leopard. Apparently Intel Mac Tiger discs weren't around for that long so they are hard to pick up. I have, however, got the Tiger install discs for my MacBook Pro. But they don't work - if I boot off them I get a grey screen. I guess this is because they are machine specific.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thank you.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502

JimGoshorn

New Macs are only designed to use the system included on the CD and newer systems which follow.

4. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Assuming you might have the Nvidia 8800 graphics card?

Either way Tiger doesn`t have the necessary graphics drivers so can`t start the installer.

I had a similar problem with leopard 1.5.0 retail disks on my macpro circa 2006 that i upgraded with the 8800.

My workaround was a spare mac mini which i built leopard on and then updated with all service packs, i then copied the contents of the drive across to the macpro internal disk with carbon copy cloner. That could boot because it now had the relevant graphics drivers.

Not sure if you`ll be able to do the same with tiger as i don`t believe the graphics card in question is supported on tiger. But if you have another Mac and an external drive and about 40 mins to try, you may get lucky.

Regards
    M. :D

5. insch thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Lucibelle macrumors member

Update the apps? :D