Installing Tiger When Firewire Doesn't Work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pudha, Jul 7, 2009.

1. pudha macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

Ok here's the deal..

I wish to do a clean install of Tiger on my Powerbook however my Firewire port doesn't seem to work. It doesn't recognise anything I insert into it.

When I insert the Tiger Install DVD into the Powerbook and reboot, it loads up getting stuck on a blue screen. I have to switch the powerbook off and eject the DVD.

I also have an intel mac to try the Target Disk Mode approach but I've read I cannot install Tiger via an intel machine. The Tiger DVD is for a PPC.

What do I do??

Thanks

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Do you have access to an external USB DVD drive? Assuming the Tiger disc is a Retail DVD meaning it's the black disc and not a gray one. Boot up with the disc in the USB drive and hold down the option key as it boots. Select the disc when it finishes loading.

You can do Target disc mode with an Intel Mac as long as it has Firewire ;).

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

PPC Macs can't boot over USB.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You can boot from USB optical drives ;)

Also I've seen people boot off hard drives via USB on PPC as I have been proven wrong myself in that regard.

5. pudha thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give this a try.

I thought it couldn't boot from USB either hence the reason for not trying but I'll share the results after I've tried.

Thanks!