Installing Tiger Without Formatting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Garetxcore, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Garetxcore macrumors newbie

How do I install tiger without formatting. If I hit Archive and Install will it save everything?

I need to know, now

2. Garetxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

3. vniow macrumors G4

Yes. Don't select upgrade. Causes trouble.

4. Garetxcore thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it save EVERYTHING?

I always hit upgrade b4... never did anything wrong.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

what are you coming from?
    Leopard or Panther?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Didn't for me. I always do a simple upgrade. I have never had a moment's trouble upgrading from one release of MacOS X to the next. While you are replicating your old settings in your new OS, I am working.

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

If you have Panther (10.3) and are upgrading to Tiger (10.4), an Upgrade install won't hurt anything. I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, and the process was absolutely flawless. Most of my settings were intact. The only ones that weren't were new settings introduced in the new OS.

If you ask me, the upgrade process is much cleaner than a windows upgrading process. When dealing with windows, the best thing always seems to be clean install. Upgrades result in reduced performance. Repair installs result in reduced performance. System restore results is reduced performance... This doesn't seem to be the case with upgrading OSX, though.

So if you're doing an upgrade from Panther to Tiger, upgrade should work flawlessly. If you're downgrading from Leopard to Tiger... I don't think you'll be able to select "upgrade" anyway.

8. vniow macrumors G4

While I'm working, I'm reinstalling someone's OS because they chose Upgrade vs. Archive and Install. Its the safest option if you want to keep your data/settings.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

... or some other reason.