Installing two external hard drives at once...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vermonter16, Dec 22, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

I got my two lacie d2 quadra drives today and I want to hook them up to my imac - one to store photos/videos and the other to back up both the computer and other drive. Should I hook them both up together and then connect them to the imac or should I do one at a time. I've never hooked an external up in my life! Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Cool! :)

You can connect them both at once. It shouldn't hurt anything.

3. gpb01 macrumors newbie

gpb01

Well done vermonter16 !

As BlueRevolution say, don't worry, just daisy chain the two devices and connect the FireWire cable ...
    ... suddenly the two disks should appears on your desktop and, probably, the "Time Machine" will ask you if you want to use one for her :)

4. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! Now I need to get a larger surge protector....think all my slots are full so hopefully I can find two pieces to disconnect til I order a new one...

5. gpb01 macrumors newbie

gpb01

... why you don't think to a small UPS ? I'm sure that your iMac and yours external HD will appreciate ;)

Get a look to the APC web site ... a "BackUPS 500" should be enough ...

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Most definitely agree with this!!!

If your username is indicative of the area you live in (like Vermont perhaps??) your power is probably as problematic as ours in New Hampshire and a UPS is worth its weight in gold, as the power problems are often caused not only by surges but also by undervoltages. A good UPS will be rated to both keep undervoltages from affecting you just as well as it does in filtering/buffering surge (high) voltages. Do be aware that not all APC models (my favorite brand for years) do cover low as well as high voltages though so you need to look at the specs. The function for undervoltages is called "Boost" and the one for overvoltages is called "Trim" and the ability of a UPS to "trim" surges and still operate marks one big advantage of a UPS over a simple surge suppressor which will simply shut down (like a circuit breaker) on overvoltage and offer no help at all with undervoltages.

7. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know - I'll take a look. Yes, my name is Vermonter and I am a Vermonter stuck living in the DC metro area right now. But I plan on going back there - this time to the NE kingdom where power is even more of a problem so this info is handy. I'm in the middle of hooking up my externals right now so I'll get back to this because I took one look at the website....and uh...I'm confused ;)