Installing Ubuntu (GPU problem?), please help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Leoso, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Leoso macrumors newbie

Hello

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my early 2009 imac following these instructions

http://lifehacker.com/5934942/how-t...-and-take-back-your-powerhouse-apple-hardware

After I reboot my computer with rEFIt installed and the Ubuntu dvd inside, I get to the point where I can choose between "Install Ubuntu" or "Try it from the disc". The problem is that no matter which option I choose a black screen appears and after some time the disc stops spinning and nothing happens. The black screen has two purple colored vertical lines of pixels (both about an inch long) on the top left corner of the screen.

I think the problem may be the GPU because my computer in some occasions freezes, (usually, but not always, when playing games) and sometimes green and violet lines of pixels appear on the screen when that happens.

Is there any way I can install Ubuntu on my computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Try the nomodeset boot option when booting from the install disc.

If you're installing normally look at the link below at the heading
    "Changing the CD's Default Boot Options"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

If you're installing in EFI you may see different screens and the process may differ.

3. Leoso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding.

I tried to install it a few months ago without rEFIt and it didnt work. I tried the nomodeset option but I kept getting black screens. Now rEFIt doesnt give me those options. I guess maybe my GPU is just not compatible with Ubuntu.

4. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I personally believe it is a GPU issue, but it's for sure doable. I was literally just installing Ubuntu on my 2009 MacBook Pro, Geforce 9400M, and was able to boot into the AMD64 Mac USB installer, but once the install completed, I ran into the same issue you are having. On the NON-Mac installer, I cannot even boot into the installer USB without encountering that black screen with the strange lines. Would love to know if there's a fix - I've previously had Ubuntu installed on this machine, and I am wondering if it's an issue with 13.10.

5. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Try installing ubuntu with the text based install version . You can also try installing the latest ubuntu release ubuntu 13.10 the drivers may have been updated or fixed . There is also a new Ubuntu LTS version it is going to be out soon too and it might have better support . Ubuntu is a ok distro but I prefer Linux Mint .