Installing Ubuntu on Mac Pro 1.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by swyatt01, Dec 22, 2018.

1. swyatt01 macrumors newbie

swyatt01

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of apple, but I recently took the plunge and get a Macbook Pro 2017 and more recently because of the aeshetics and the way they worked a bought a old Mac Pro 1.1 off ebay as I needed a desktop system to complement my setup.

I absolutely love the Classic Mac Pro. I've bought it cheap and upgraded it to 2.1 and put a host of upgrades into it including, 32GB RAM, 2x X5365 Xeon Processors and a 48GB Sandisk SSD with El Capitan installed.

It works amazing....

My next step is wanting to installing / dual boot the Mac Pro into Ubuntu if this is possible. I went to :

https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/11/linux-dvd-images-and-how-to-for-32-bit-efi-macs-late-2006-models/

to see download Ubuntu 18.04 desktop-amd64 ISO an dburned it to the disc. I manage to install the OS onto a seperate SSD, but when the program installs and asks to restart it doesn't boot up and my system just kind of turns on an off constantly.

I have to shut it down and remove the Ubuntu SSD for my El cap SSD to work.

I dont know what to do next, I know this is vague.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best
    Steve

2. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

If you have a boot screen you can try a boot manager like refit/refind

3. swyatt01 thread starter macrumors newbie

swyatt01

Thanks for getting in touch - where do I obtain this and how do I use it?

Thanks
    Steve