Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I've downloaded a couple vWallpapers already (outside of Cydia) and am curious how these get installed? If you SSH them into your phone, what directory do these need to be inserted into? The only one I have working now is the Nexus Live one which installed by itself. Not sure if these are treated like normal wallpapers or if there is some special directory I need to put them into. Thanks.

rmul86

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Boston, MA
I've downloaded a couple vWallpapers already (outside of Cydia) and am curious how these get installed? If you SSH them into your phone, what directory do these need to be inserted into? The only one I have working now is the Nexus Live one which installed by itself. Not sure if these are treated like normal wallpapers or if there is some special directory I need to put them into. Thanks.

Why not download the Nexus Live in Cydia and use WinterBoard?

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009

Located in: root/user/Media/Skrew/videos

Once there, you should see the videos installed within vWallpapers.

Why not download the Nexus Live in Cydia and use WinterBoard?

Winterboard uses way more battery, phone gets very warm, than vWallpaper.

choice

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Can you use your own .mp4 video in vWallpapers? If so, how do you do it. I can't figure it out. :confused:

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
Wow, one more threAd abt vwallpapers, all ur questions have been answered in existing posts....

Sorry to be rude, but are u guys lazy to search or just dense.....

choice

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Wow, one more threAd abt vwallpapers, all ur questions have been answered in existing posts....

Too lazy too search? How do you think I found this older thread...yeah, i searched it. I bumped this thread because my question wasn't relevant in the other thread & felt bad for jacking it, Mr. Einstein. An no, it wasn't answered in the other thread or any thread that I searched.

By the way, thanks for bumping the thread! :D

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Located in: root/user/Media/Skrew/videos

Once there, you should see the videos installed within vWallpapers.

Winterboard uses way more battery, phone gets very warm, than vWallpaper.

Thanks for the advice!

I uploaded some higher resolution videos into this folder, but they don't seem to scale to fit the screen on my iPhone 4 with vWallpapers. Any idea if I can somehow make them fit?

Edit: In the meantime I just used Handbrake to scale the resolution of the videos to 320x480

Here is one I was hoping to use:
http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/vwallpaper/61/water-droplets-glass-hd-vwallpaper-32888/

BaldyUK

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008

Wow, the title is clear, why not just skip the thread instead of replying and sounding like a woman on the blob.

choice

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Can you use your own .mp4 video in vWallpapers? If so, how do you do it. I can't figure it out. :confused:

Figured it out. Just upload your .mp4 file onto /private/var/mobile/media/Skrew/Videos. Also, create a .jpg of your video with the similar dimensions of the other icons in the folder.

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
Anyone know where to download the lighting video wallpaper? Don't want to install with WB..

http://www.thememyphone.com/displayimage-155-9.html

1t3oqt.png

goneeuro

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
just throwing this out there. i downloaded the vwallpaper mega pak from sinful. the one named mario made me have to restore my phone. i think it causes a memory leak because my phone locked up once i set it. once i slid to unlock and the spring board loaded it locked up until i did a hard reset. just a quick warning for you. all the rest in the pack worked fine though.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
just throwing this out there. i downloaded the vwallpaper mega pak from sinful. the one named mario made me have to restore my phone. i think it causes a memory leak because my phone locked up once i set it. once i slid to unlock and the spring board loaded it locked up until i did a hard reset. just a quick warning for you. all the rest in the pack worked fine though.

That's a real scary story.

I've just been using modmyi's vwallpaper download section to get some cool ones to ssh to my iPhone.

What bugs me about the wallpapers is that it takes a fraction of a second for the wallpaper to "kick in." So I've been using a couple vWallpapers that start with darker images so the kick-in effect isn't noticeable.

Currently using Lightstripes: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/vwallpaper/61/lightsripes_1-loop-32640/

Flourish: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/vwallpaper/61/j-dazz-flourishpaper-1-hd-33018/

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
That's a real scary story.

I've just been using modmyi's vwallpaper download section to get some cool ones to ssh to my iPhone.

What bugs me about the wallpapers is that it takes a fraction of a second for the wallpaper to "kick in." So I've been using a couple vWallpapers that start with darker images so the kick-in effect isn't noticeable.

Currently using Lightstripes: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/vwallpaper/61/lightsripes_1-loop-32640/

Flourish: http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads/vwallpaper/61/j-dazz-flourishpaper-1-hd-33018/

I would much rather have the fraction of a second delay then a dead battery...

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I would much rather have the fraction of a second delay then a dead battery...

Oh I'm using the vWallpaper app for sure to save battery life. I was explaining that to make the delay less noticeable you can use video wallpapers with a darker background like the ones I linked to.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Oh I'm using the vWallpaper app for sure to save battery life. I was explaining that to make the delay less noticeable you can use video wallpapers with a darker background like the ones I linked to.

Sorry, yeah I got your point. People making these video should take that into account and fade their videos in better.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
how about uninstall?

I used vwallpaper for a day (it was cool and worked fine) but felt a normal picture background for me was better suited for now; so I proceeded to remove vwallpaper and it uninstalled the app fine, but the zringtonehook-mobilesubstrate add-on (that I think is part of vwallpaper) was not removed! also I cannot turn it off (zringtonehook) when scrolling down to msaddons in sbsettings because the thing bounces back and leaves the add-on under the sbsetting ad and can't reach it :S Is there a way to properly delete the add-on by SSH (in cydia-packages it does not appear even in expert mode). Is there another app that uses the zringtonehook beside vwallpaper? I have unlimtones but I don't think it uses it...

EDIT: Got it! To remove zRingtonehook one has to remove the package called 'skrewcommon" from Cydia

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Is anyone else safari crashing on exit and the phone restarting in safe mode after recent Aug 30 SkrewCommon 1.49 update for OS4? If I disable video in vWallpaper app, safari works just fine. Of course, that means no video wallpaper and makes app useless.

Set845

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Is anyone else safari crashing on exit and the phone restarting in safe mode after recent Aug 30 SkrewCommon 1.49 update for OS4? If I disable video in vWallpaper app, safari works just fine. Of course, that means no video wallpaper and makes app useless.

Yes, same here. IPhone crashes when I exit anything while running a vwallpaper after that update. I hope they fix it soon. Any way to downgrade it?

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I had my first crash into safe mode last night actually, so perhaps this vWallpaper update was the culprit. I haven't had another one since though, and have been opening and closing apps all morning.

Some cool new vWallpapers were added to the downloads section of the app. I recommend the clouds one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.