Installing Virtual PC 7

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I have installed VPC on my new 20" rev b iMac. It has the one 250Gb harddrive with 150Gb left over. I was installing XP via VPC and it said something about the format you want FAT32, FAT16, Unformatted. Since I was installing this onto the only harddrive, I got a bit worried it would reformat my HD, does it do this?

Do I need a partition to run VPC?

Thanks

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
After choosing FAT32 on HD...
On the next screen it asks me weather I partition, reformat in several different ways...and at the bottom has option to 'leave file structure as is.' I assume I select this option?

Thanks for the quick reply

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Which one is the default. I've only got VPC6 but I'm pretty sure they're similar enough. I reckon you're right, tick the "leave as is" option.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
VPC creates a disk image to run off of, so it doesn't matter what you choose for all that stuff. FYI, I don't think VPC runs on Tiger, so since this is a new Mac, does it have Tiger?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
yellow said:
VPC creates a disk image to run off of, so it doesn't matter what you choose for all that stuff. FYI, I don't think VPC runs on Tiger, so since this is a new Mac, does it have Tiger?

Umm, VPC runs on Tiger but it's missing a networking feature from memory. It shouldn't matter, most users don't use it anyway. :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mad jew said:
Umm, VPC runs on Tiger but it's missing a networking feature from memory. It shouldn't matter, most users don't use it anyway. :)
The Virtual Switch feature doesn't work in Tiger. However, networking works fine using Shared Networking.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Leave as is should be the option. That'll install XP onto a virtual drive formated with NTFS (XP's default). I've noticed XP runs a tad slower under the Fat systems though it could only be my imagination.