installing virtual pc 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by salami123, Sep 3, 2007.

1. salami123 macrumors newbie

hey whats up
    well im here tryin to install virtual pc 7
    so i goin thru it like normal and finished the first set of installation after which u must restart the comp.
    when i restart, it says how virtual pc 7 has closed for some reason and thats it, i cant do the next stage of installation

whats goin on ehre??
    thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Tell us more about your system and we may be able to help more. :)

3. Camotanker macrumors newbie

i got the same problem bro.

i have a brand new Pro 15" 2.44 ghz.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Virtual PC won't work on Intel machines. Only PPC. Intel machines should use Parallels or VMWare

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

And it runs extremely slow on PowerPC machines anyway.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

True, but it's the only way to run Windows on a G4 or G5.

BTW, VPC 7 is only recommendable for the G5. If you have a G4 try to obtain VPC 6, as it will run better. It's that VPC 6 cannot run on the G5 that you need VPC 7 for them.

VPC is software emulation: get x86 binaries to work via some sort of clever "translation" software on a PPC takes time... i.e. it wil perform slowly.

If you have an Intel Mac, get Parallels or VMware as mentioned above. This software uses the "virtualisation" technique available on the Intels in the newer Macs. As this doesn't emulate but speaks the same "x86 language" the software running on Windows in either VMware or Parallels wil perform super fast. Natively fast, even!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Back in the day, another option was to outright buy a cheap PC box, put it on the network and then use Microsoft's own Remote Desktop Connection to connect to it from your Mac. Obviously this isn't the best solution, but it's faster than Virtual PC.