Installing Vista 64 bit on bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MKnight, Apr 9, 2008.

1. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Just partitioned my drive (running 10.5.2) and booted from my Vista 64 bit disk and I get a screen that gives me the following:

Select CD-Rom Boot Type

Anyone have any idea how to get past this?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Currently Vista 64 bit only runs on the most recent Mac Pro (if that's what you have?).

3. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Nope I have a MacBook Pro 2.4, although a friend of mine managed to get it installed and I've heard of other people installing it.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have a 2006 Mac Pro and it runs fine.

5. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Strange...my Macbook Pro is a 2007 model.

I basically just burned the Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1 ISO from my MSDN account.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I expect Vista 64 will run on any 64 bits Intel Mac...
    So that's all Core 2 Duo's and later, and every Xeon.

7. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

Ok so I installed Vista 32 bit and I got a black bootscreen that asked me what OS I wanted to load. The only option was 1. Vista Ultimate

I tried pressing that key on the Macbook Pro keyboard and nothing worked.

This used to work and I cannot think of anything that could have caused this other than the new EFI Macbook Pro firmware update.

Anyone else having these problems after updating to the latest firmware?

8. devmage macrumors member

devmage

Not to dreduge up an old thread, but I was just attempting to install 64bit Vista Business edition and I get that as well when i boot the disk. This is on a Original Mac Pro 2.66Ghz. Any way around this?

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

10. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

It may be due to a Microsoft blunder:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931708

Did you burn the install disk yourself?

Thanks.

11. boggled macrumors newbie

I have the retail version of Vista 64 Ultimate SP1. I get the same "Select CD-ROM Boot Type" screen. I can't even enter the 1 or 2 on the keyboard. It's like the keyboard is disabled or turned off. I connected a USB keyboard and I was able to enter 1 but when I hit enter, it does nothing. I have Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo.

This may explain why the academic version of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Operating System Upgrade Student Faculty Staff License and DVD Set ONLY FOR 64-BIT COMPUTERS that I had purchased through my university is on a DVD-R. I was able to boot from the DVD and I was able to do a clean install on my Macbook Pro perfectly, but the Boot Camp 2.1 for Windows Vista 64 drivers wouldn't install. Then, I surfed around and found that Boot Camp won't install on an upgrade. So, I decided to spend some more money and I ordered the retail version thinking the boot camp drivers would install on the retail Vista. I would have never assumed that the retail wouldn't boot at all.

Why have a 64 bit processor if it can't be utilized? What a waste!

12. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

that is odd, my 3,1 Macbook Pro does work like a charm, ow and Call of Duty 4 is veeeeerrrrryyyyyy nice!
    :D

But good luck sorting that one out!
    I just started boot camp, set up a 32Gb partition (I've got 320, so that aint a problem) and slided the orriginal disk in. After that it was easy, only needed to insert the leopard disk once to install the apple tools in windows.
    But without the leopard disk it did work, although it didn't recognise my video card and network adapters, bluetooth and a whole load of other thing. but the basics where there.

Just try one more time and don't forget to begin with a clean boot, I did a pram reset, then a normal boot and then started. No specific reason, but "just to be sure"

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

How did you boot it? Holding down C?

14. MKnight thread starter macrumors regular

MKnight

I would like to know as well because I cannot get it to boot as well.