Installing Vista on Boot Camp...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PowerFullMac, Jun 7, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

When I run he Boot Camp set-up, it says I have to backup my HD... I dont have a drive to do that with, so I was wondering is it just in case something goes wrong like then you update to 10.5.3 or is it certainly gonna have to erase stuff off my HD to partition it for Windows?

Thanks in advance!

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah it's just in case. I recently installed Vista on mine as well after having to go through a failed one first.

It won't touch the partition on Mac OS unless you tell it to :p

Remember: Choose the partition that says BOOTCAMP in the Windows Setup.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ahh, OK, thanks!

Did you loose any data when it failed?

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Nope. I just used Bootcamp Assistant to bring remove the partition that I created then tried again and its up and working.

Backing up just provides a support and a "just in case" should the hard drive fails or if you format your Mac OS X accidently.

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

OK, thanks :)

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

No problem, glad I could help. :)

7. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Just done it and all was fine, the first partition I made was too small but I just shut it down, booted up from OS X and deleted the old one and made a new one and all was well.

I didnt bother printing out that 30 page documentation thing, I just went to the Boot Camp Assistant, looked in the package contents, Resources > English.lproj > Documentation.pdf and read it from their! :p No idea why it needed to be 30 pages, the basic instructions are about 2 or 3 at most!

8. tomax7 macrumors newbie

tomax7

How about XP AND Vista on bootcamp

Hi all

...tried googling and looking on here for anyone brave enough to load XP and Vista on the Windows 'partition' of bootcamp.

Bascially I partitioned already with Bootcamp, OSX and Windows XP, but want to load Vista also, so I'm thinking of using Partition Magic while in XP to create another partition to load Vista Ultimate.

Is it possible? Would OSX still see 2 partitions, but when choosing Windows from the bootup, will Windows give me the usual boot.ini choice of two operating systems?

Basically my goal is OSX/XP/Vista from an existing OSX/WINDOWS (XP) setup without reformatting and reinstalling everything.

I read one post here a fella used Partition Magic and lost the windows side of the partition after rebooting.

Any ideas?

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Just wonna report that it messed up my time and date, but that was easily fixed, but also when I open some stuff the window I just opened flashes activated, deactivated, activated very fast... Weird.

Thats is OS X, BTW.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the partition is called "Untitled" and it wont let me change it, I found out its because its read only in OS X, any way to change that?

10. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well I think my second partition is messed up as well. Now VMWare states that the bootcamp partition of Vista is corrupt or damaged. I got so angry at that. I installed crysis on it and that including Vista took about 2 hours. I just freaking wasted two hours! :mad:

I don't know why it is happening.

Oh and PowerFullMac, my bootcamp partition is named Untitled too. I installed XP before on Bootcamp and I think that's normal. Makes me wish I didn't delete my XP partition now :(

11. Skrymer macrumors newbie

I did something similar like that too. Only I used bootcamp to install Windows XP on a partition and then on the same partition I also installed Ubuntu. The Ubuntu bootloader sees Windows and Ubuntu.
    I think you can also try to use rEFIt for tripple booting, haven't tried it myself though.