Installing VMWare Fusion Tomorrow, Need Some Expert Opinion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macbeliever, Feb 8, 2008.

1. macbeliever macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I have a new copy of Windows XP and VMWare Fusion. I have a MBP 17" with 4 gigs of ram. Unfortunately a ton o my companies marketing is on .pub files and I have over 10,000 e-mails saved in Outlook.

I m never going back, let me get that off my chest. So here's where I'm at. I have not installed Bootcamp. I want to know what order to install Fusion and XP.

Should I install Bootcamp?

Can I just install Fusion with out Bootcamp?

When do I install XP?

Before Fusion, or after?

I know that this is a confusing post, but I cannot find this exact topic explained correctly.

Thanks all,

MacBeliever

2. McGiord, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'm not an expert, however from my experience with Parallels and Boot Camp my suggestion to you is:
    1- Create the Boot Camp partition
    2- Install Windows on it
    3- Activate it
    4- Install VMware Fusion
    5- Use the Boot Camp partition via Fusion
    6- You may need to activate your Windows license again
    7- Enjoy the possibility to run Windows either with Fusion or via Boot Camp

By doing that you'll also have the posibility to run Windows natively when you need it via Boot Camp.

If you don't do BootCamp then you'll be eating part of your HDD to create the Fusion virtual machine first, and then if you want to create the boot camp partition you'll be needing more space in the HDD and maybe another legal license of Windows (I'm not sure about the extra license needed)
    ________
    Toyota Kijang history

3. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Only install Bootcamp if you need to boot into pure Windows rather than virtualized in Fusion. Since I don't do gaming and only need MS Office compatibility in Windows I don't need Bootcamp.

Install Fusion, then use easy install for Windows XP setup. Easy.

If you do install Bootcamp, then yes your Fusion can run Windows off the Bootcamp partition as well.

4. one1 macrumors 65816

It's so simple it should be a crime. I did it last night.

I was already bootcamped from a few weeks ago and had been shutting the computer off to go to windows...uhg.

I DL'ed both Fusion and Parallels (trials are free for 30 days, try them both at the same time).

Having the boot camp partition in place already makes setup a one click process. You need it set up this way incase the virtual system screws up. If you do not have separate partition for windoze and something goes wrong with the virtualization it'll corrupt your entire HD and you lose EVERYTHING. Keep your partitions separate and run boot camp FIRST. Plus it makes the other installs easier, much easier.

Partition your bootcamp and install windows. Fire it up and let it run once to adjust itself properly and make sure the apple drivers update and everything is perfect and ready to go. All the support files need to be in place from the software updates and apple support files no matter what you do so get it updated and running.

THEN install Fusion It is a one click install. No headaches, no hassles. Open the program and *click* ......... set up is done and you are rocking.

When you get Fusion (and parallels if you try it) running for the first time be PATIENT and let it load everything. It has to get all the drivers set and running for the first time. You will think it is done, then it'll go and do something else. Ignore the found new hardware boxes and all that jive IF you have already set it all up in boot camp like you should be doing right now. It'll work all that out without you.

All you need to do is click the install button and wait. It's a VERY smooth process. Boot Camp is going to ask you to print an instruction manual that is 20 pages long so put some paper and ink in your printer......

5. McGiord, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I forgot to mention that after you install Windows XP in your Boot Camp partition you need to install the apple drivers to be able to use all your mac's peripherals to their full potential: keyboard, trackpad, video, isight, audio, etc.
    Yuo do this by inserting the Leopard DVD in Windows.
    Anyway follow the BootCamp Assistant instructions, so you don't miss a step.

With Parallels it also install a set of tools in the Windows partition.

No idea if Fusion do something like that also.
    ________
    glass pipe

6. macbeliever thread starter macrumors member

Thanks McGiord.

I'm in Macomb Twp by the way.

Thanks for all of your insight.

MacBeliever

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As maestrokev said, you don't want to touch Boot Camp unless you have a specific need for it. Just install VMware, put the Windows CD in, and it'll install it all for you.

8. one1 macrumors 65816

Well it appears we have a difference of opinion. I think running Xp on the same partition virtually is a recipe for disaster that's been proven when the virtualization does something it is not supposed to. It can be as easy as clicking the VMware off without shutting XP down. Boom.... corrupt system.

That's ok though, no one ever listens to me anyway. It's becoming a trend. My way is not the "ultra simple install", but I promise you won't have a thread in here a few months from now "My Xp crashed and now I can't even run OS X, the whole partition is corrupt".

Good luck on the install either way. :) Hope it goes smooth for you tomorrow.

9. Evader macrumors newbie

the situation you just explained would be an issue whether using a bootcamp partition or a vm library. Doesn't make any sense. either way vmware is going to warn you that you shouldn't just close it.

I highly recommend not using bootcamp unless u need it. you can't easily uninstall it, nor can you increase the size of the partition. you also can't suspend the machine through vmware so it's a significantly longer boot time and shut down time everytime you start windows in vmware if you use bootcamp.

10. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

FWIW, I've been running Fusion since it was beta and never used bootcamp. Have never had a system corruption. My WinXP virtual machine is a 9GB file that I keep a duplicate of in case it corrupts. Yes, that easy to backup!

There have been more instances of corruption when using Fusion to access bootcamp than using Fusion to run a VM file.

I suggest you post questions to the Fusion discussion forum hosted by Vmware. Myself and others regularly offer assistance there.

11. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Well you have me convinced. Tried to install bootcamp three weeks ago and ended up having to return my iMac for a drive replacement. Probably not the cause but strange.

12. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Drive replacement sounds more like a mechanical problem. I don't think Bootcamp could have done this but if you read the VMware Fusion forums you'll see lots of complaints about Bootcamp when it screws up and the solutions to fix are more drastic than just copying and pasting over your backed up VM file.

13. JonD14513 macrumors newbie

Question

I just bought a 17'' macbook pro along with vmware fusion 2.0 and windows xp home edition. I have a Microsoft office license but it's for a PC and I don't like/want to use the office made for mac. Will vmware fusion 2.0 allow me to install windows xp home edition and then install office afterwards? or do I have to use the Microsoft Office made for Mac. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hello, Windows XP has to have at least Service Pack 2 (SP2), if your installation disc isn't at that level you might need to do slipstreaming.
    http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml

In general answers to your question: Yes, once you have Windows running on your Mac (BootCamp or Virtualization) you can install and use any Windows' programs, MS Office for sure will work.