Installing W7 on MBP Mid-2009

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RapsacDK, Feb 17, 2014.

1. RapsacDK, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

RapsacDK macrumors member

RapsacDK

Hello, fellow Mac-users. I need help.

I have recently purchased the new MBP Retina 15" and want to retire my old MBP 15" from Mid-2009. I want to install Windows 7 on that machine. However, it is not as easy as I imagined.

What I have done, to my previous MacBook:

I have removed the DVD drive, replaced it with an SSD, which is now being used as primary disk. The Macintosh HD is at the moment just being used as file storage. Also, I have upgraded RAM - but I don't think that matters in this particular case. I still have the physical DVD drive, and could re-mount it if needed, but I would prefer not to.

What I seek to accomplish:

I just want to run Windows 7 'natively' on my MBP5,3. It works with VMWare, but that is not the solution I seek. Ultimately, I would like to install it on my SSD (where OS X currently is) - but Boot Camp (BC) does not allow that, so I have so far only tried to install to Macintosh HD. I have a genuine and legal version of Windows 7 Professional as ISO.

What I have tried and noticed so far:

- Since BC thinks that my MBP5,3 still has its DVD drive, I had to modify its Info.plist according to this post, to allow for USB usage.

- When initializing Windows installation through BC, upon automatic restart, the computer is at first stuck at the white background screen with a grey Apple logo. If I power off, and power on again; the computer proceeds to boot from USB.

- BC fails to download Windows-drivers (which seems to be a common error on old MBP's running Mavericks?) when preparing the USB stick. Therefore, I have downloaded the drivers separately (for MBP5,3 and W7) and copied them to the USB root (as /BootCamp) after BC has set up the ISO on it. IF I really do copy the driver files on to the drive, the boot from USB fails (black screen with blinking white curser) - upon boot from drive, the MBP can no longer init the stick. IF I do not copy the driver files manually, the Windows installation will fail at an early stage, because of "missing driver files or broken installation files". Something like that.

What should I do next?

Update #1
    I'll try out with the drivers in this post, hold on.

2. RapsacDK thread starter macrumors member

RapsacDK

Now I get an error because of missing/corrupt install.wim, see screenshot.