Installing Win 7 by using BootCamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by erdinc27, Jul 14, 2013.

1. erdinc27 macrumors regular

hey all. i want to install windows 7 on my mac by using bootcamp. but the thing is i get a warning after partitioning the disc. there it says "the installer disc could not find" and nothing happens. what is wrong with it ?

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

What type of disc is it? Is it a pressed Microsoft retail DVD? Is it appearing on your desktop or in the Finder when inserted?

It sounds like bad media, or faulty optical drive.

3. erdinc27 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for reply. i use USB for that. i formatted it in FAT format

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

What year iMac do you have? Only very recent ones can boot Windows from a USB flash drive.

5. erdinc27, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

erdinc27 thread starter macrumors regular

i tried with cd already. i have two years mac.
    when i check to download some files for appretiate windows for my mac in bootcamp i also write them to cd. but when that process is over i check inside of the cd then there are pdf files only nothing more. is that normal ?

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Pulled from the Boot Camp Assistant resource files, these are the only ones that can boot from a USB flash drive into Windows:

Code:
    		<string>IM130</string>
    		<string>MM50</string>
    		<string>MP60</string>
    		<string>MB80</string>
    		<string>MBP90</string>
    		<string>MBA40</string>

So, unless you have a 2012 iMac, you cannot boot it from USB into Windows.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see on that media?

7. erdinc27 thread starter macrumors regular

in info plist of Boot Camp it looks same. like here
    Code:

<string>IM130</string>
    <string>MM50</string>
    <string>MP60</string>
    <string>MB80</string>
    <string>MBP90</string>
    <string>MBA40</string>

i tried with CD already not only USB but it stopped in the same step.

8. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Where did you source the Windows 7 media from?

9. dekampes macrumors newbie

Hi!

Maybe you can follow instruction here to create EFI-recognized bootable USB: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 (copy efi file part) , but don't follow the diskpart thing as it will wipe your disk entirely.

You will still need Boot Camp Assistant to create Windows partition. Open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instruction, but this time uncheck "Create q a Windows 7 install disk". You may check "Download windows support from Apple" if you dont have the driver files, but make sure to save it as iso file so your Windows setup files in USB stick did not overwritten.

After partitioning, restart your Mac and press Option key when it chimes. There should be options to select boot disk. If you follow the instruction correctly, there will be option with USB icon with "EFI boot" text. Select it to boot from USB using native EFI.

I've tried this using Win 7 64bit on Macbook Pro 13" mid-2010. The story will be different if you need to boot in BIOS-mode. You will need rEFInd to boot Windows setup in Legacy BIOS.

Good luck!