Installing Win 8.1 on MBP with 2 Hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koch92, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Koch92 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro 13.3 Mid 2012, Due to uni I need to run some software like Autocad or other designing and engineering software that only work on Windows. Thus, I have already purchased 16gb Ram upgrade, 240gb SSD and Hard Drive Optical Bay Caddy. Now I don't like running windows virtually as I already have it and it's too slow. but I would like to run it other separate OS. So I was wondering how can I install windows on 1 hd and OSx on another? is it possible? if its can you please advice me on how?

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Quite possible, just use bootcamp. AFAIK though, you won't be able to boot the windows install without the optical drive in place on Macs that came with an optical drive.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Buy winclone, set it up in bootcamp then after fitting the optibay use winclone to image the bootcamp setup over to the new drive.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Not sure if that version of the MBP can boot off USB. If it can't then you have to put the optical drive back in and install windows on the SSD. You can give it a really small partition and format the other hard drive to NTFS to store files. Windows also allows you to move library folders like Documents to another hard drive, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Also be sure to disable hibernation to get back a lot of SSD space. I'd give Windows at least 50gb just to be safe. You can also have two partitions on the HD (HFS and NTFS) in order to give OSX a little more space.