Installing Win7 On iMac 27" - Question About Future Update

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by spcdust, Jan 8, 2010.

1. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Seeing that Apple are dragging their feet on Official support for Windows 7 I've decided to follow the un-supported route of installing it on my iMac. The question I have, if I install Win7 now using the work around methods what happens when Apple do update Boot Camp to officially support Windows 7. Is it a case of just running the updated Boot Camp program to install the necessary / officially supported drivers or do I have to do a full clean re-install of the Windows 7 OS.

Sorry if my questions seems naive but Windows on a Mac via Boot Camp is a whole new ball game for me.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You may have to remove some of the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers first, but yes it should jut be a matter of installing the new drivers.

FWIW, on my MBP at least, most everything was working out of the box without even installing the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers. I ran it that way for a week or two since I did not have my SL disc with me.

B

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I, for one, will likely do a fresh install if they get the update out soon. However, if they procrastinate for much longer, I will just try to update it.