Installing Win7 through Bootcamp from iso

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I'mAMac, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

My friend has been trying to install Win7 on his mid 2010 MBP using bootcamp and a Win7 iso. He has a valid CD key, but no physical copy of Windows. We burned the Win7 iso onto a disk but Bootcamp does not have an option to create an install CD out of it. Does anybody know how this can be done?

2. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Did you update bootcamp? It should have given you an option to point the install (cd, usb).

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yes it's version 5.0.0 but no option. Comes up with the Install windows 7 option and if you click that, it asks you to set the size of the partition, then it starts going but fails.

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

That would point to a OSX issue, or hardware issue with the hard drive.

This same issue happened to an older 13" I had, where Bootcamp would fail during partitioning. Ended up being the hard drive that needed to be replaced.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You might have to retry it a couple of times. I've had an issue of Bootcamp not installing but then retrying and it worked.

Also, as previously stated, there's numerous other factors that could be at play here.

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

True. It's just weird because I did this exact process 1-2 years ago. Create an install DVD from a disc with the iso burned onto it. Its just that option seems to have been removed completely from Bootcamp.
    [​IMG]

That first option is the one that I'm talking about.

7. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Strange. When I open Bootcamp I get that option.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If your Mac has/had a built in SuperDrive (even if you replaced it with a HDD) it won't install from USB (or even display the option)
    A 2010 MBP has a SuperDrive.

Added bonus: Windows will only install on the primary drive, it's a Windows thing.

Annoying but there you go.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Cant you use an USB superdrive if you have it replaced with optibay?
    Or maybe it wont because it might not detect USB, idk for sure.

I have a problem with USB Super drive though.
    All I get is a pitch black screen for install.

10. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I've only tried it with a DVD with the .iso burned onto it...Maybe I'll try a USB just for the lols

11. ybeg macrumors newbie

ybeg

True, the option has been removed in later versions. But it is an easy fix to just hack the Info.plist in the bootcamp files (easy to do and easy to reset, I had never hacked a file before). Then u get the option to create an USB from an iso-file. Here is an easy video to guide you thru the hack.

The other problem still remains but I think you can get around it if you use rEFI. Download the latest rEFI, install it and reboot your mac twice. On the second reboot you enter rEFI without holding ALT (and will alwasy do that untill you uninstall it). From here you may choose what "disk" you want to boot from.

I hope this works for you!

12. mmahirr macrumors newbie

Just to add to this.. Your going to need to partition your osx hdd through disk utility.. After that you should be good :)

rEFI is gold. Helped me get windows installed, can be used for any os mounted on a usb drive