installing win7 with bootcamp and optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modular, Apr 26, 2010.

1. modular macrumors regular

ok so ive got an SSD in the HDD space, and a newmodeus HDD bay in the optical drive (same thing as the optibay).

So what i was thinking was to install windows in a partition on the 500gb HDD. My SSD is only 80GB so i wanted to save space on that. Here is what i have tried:

macbook set up with SDD and HDD, no optical drive:
    Bootcamp will not let me install windows using an ISO image, needs a CD to install.

So I put my HDD in the HDD bay and put the optical drive back in. I then started up the macbook using a firewire drive (HDD has no OS on it, only the SDD does). Bootcamp then tells me it can't partition an external disk and I have to boot up using an internal disk (even though I WANT to partition the internal disk... bootcamp wouldnt let me get to that option running off a firewire drive).

SO, any other ideas on getting windows installed on an HDD?? It seems like the only thing left is to just install windows on an SSD partition.

2. Jordan Ravka macrumors newbie

I have the same problem... trying to get Win7 on a second internal HDD with optibay.

Did you find a solution?

3. cdeutsch macrumors newbie

You only need to run the Bootcamp assistant if you want to install windows on the partition that has OS X. Just put in your Windows installation disk and use it to partition your new drive and then install windows on it. My 2nd drive is partition with regular MBR, etc.
    http://blog.cdeutsch.com/2010/06/ultimate-windows-mac-part-2.html