Installing Windows 10 on Mac

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Bought Windows 10 and am at the moment partitioning my Mac using bootcamp with a Windows partition of 55GB and its taking FOREVER. How long does this normally take? I have a conventional HD.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I don't use BC, but I do have several slim portable clients in my offices and a few Parallels VMs on my rMBP and Mini Server, all with Win 10. In my experience, I've had long install times on drives and VMs <64GB, expanding my VMs to 128GB considerably speeds up an install or update. During my upgrade/installs on 64GB VMs the upgrade/install ultimately fails 3 out of 4 times, prompting for more space - keep in mind that MS pushed a pretty large Creator's update just a few days ago, and that update could still be downloading in the background. If you're still chugging along, that could be your issue…

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I don't use BC, but I do have several slim portable clients in my offices and a few Parallels VMs on my rMBP and Mini Server, all with Win 10. In my experience, I've had long install times on drives and VMs <64GB, expanding my VMs to 128GB considerably speeds up an install or update. During my upgrade/installs on 64GB VMs the upgrade/install ultimately fails 3 out of 4 times, prompting for more space - keep in mind that MS pushed a pretty large Creator's update just a few days ago, and that update could still be downloading in the background. If you're still chugging along, that could be your issue…
It installed and Windows 10 is ready. However I have no software for it and I do not plan to buy MS Office again. I just bought it to be familiar with it and to have it encase I need to run a Windows program.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It installed and Windows 10 is ready.
Nifty. FWIW I installed Win 10 from an ISO into a VM on one of my Macs yesterday, and I use Little Snitch. The install took quite a while, LS notified me of additional network connections during the install - Windows was installed then the Fall Creator's Update was installed over that, with the latter update adding almost 90 additional minutes to the installation time. IMO, I prefer VMs for lighter work and portability and the option to use drag-and-drop from an update to replace a borked VM, when my last install couldn't be recovered I just copied a dup of that VM to my Mac. 6 minutes later I was up and running from my disk image, hard to beat that. Glad you're up and running!