Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevenB7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I am trying to use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 Preview. I have read that several other people have been successful but when the system reboots from the USB drive I cannot make any selections because nothing happens when I use the laptops mouse or keyboard.

Anyone else face this issue?

I did check the box in Boot Camp Assistant to load the latest Apple drivers on to the USB drive.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
I am trying to use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 Preview. I have read that several other people have been successful but when the system reboots from the USB drive I cannot make any selections because nothing happens when I use the laptops mouse or keyboard.

Anyone else face this issue?

I did check the box in Boot Camp Assistant to load the latest Apple drivers on to the USB drive.

Are you installing Windows 10 directly? I'm not sure you can. I think you have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 10 from within Windows. That may be the cause of your problem.

StevenB7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Are you installing Windows 10 directly? I'm not sure you can. I think you have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 10 from within Windows. That may be the cause of your problem.

I downloaded the Windows 10 64bit ISO and used that iso in Boot Camp Assistant. I am trying the process of making the bootable install USB again.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
I downloaded the Windows 10 64bit ISO and used that iso in Boot Camp Assistant. I am trying the process of making the bootable install USB again.

I think you may need to download Windows 8 first, which if I remember correctly I was able to get a legal free copy of it with a Microsoft Creation tool thing, it's some sort of trial I guess, and then you can freely upgrade to Windows 10 after you've installed that with Bootcamp.

Here it is: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

DENTNU

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
I had the same issue as op only way to fix it was too connect a usb keyboard to my macbook by using the usb adapter. It detected that keyboard and let me use it to start and finish the installation. Once Windows 10 booted up everything worked without any issues. Hope this helps OP. :)

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
No need to have W8.1 first. W10 ISO will work. Something must have gone wrong when you downloaded the Bootcamp drivers.
I didn't have a problem when I installed it on my rMBP.

I suggest you start the process from the beginning and see how it goes.

StevenB7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I had the same issue as op only way to fix it was too connect a usb keyboard to my macbook by using the usb adapter. It detected that keyboard and let me use it to start and finish the installation. Once Windows 10 booted up everything worked without any issues. Hope this helps OP. :)

I had to plug in a USB keyboard to get the install going. Once the install completed the MacBooks trackpad and keyboard worked.

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
I had to plug in a USB keyboard to get the install going. Once the install completed the MacBooks trackpad and keyboard worked.

Were you able to do this without interrupting the install as I presume you had to take out your USB drive to connect the keyboard?

mahoneym

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
I had the same issue. Unplugging the install drive and plugging in the keyboard got me past the language screen. Then I plugged back in the install drive and the keyboard and trackpad worked from then on for the setup. Seems you just have to get past the language screen before it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.