Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Installing Windows 2000 on Parallels I don't see the Installation Assistant screens that Parallels documentation refers to. Instead it opens up a DOS Command screen. Someway through the installation process, it stops and gives the following warning screen. Am I about to wipe my whole hard drive including the MAC files

".......
Setuphas determined that your computers startup hard disk is new or been erased, or that your computer is running an operating system that is incompatible with Windows 2000

(some more)

If your computer is running an O.S. that is incompatible woth W2000, continuing Setup may damage or destroy the existing O.S.

To continue press C
CAUTION : any data currently on your startup hard drive will be lost

To quit Setup, press F3

......"

What do I do next - patently I am very nervous because the installation is not following/displaying the Installation Assistant. if I press C to continue installing W2000 and it wipes my MAC I will be somewhat distraught to say the least and will probably say Oh bother or something like that!!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
No doubt, head to the Parallels forums. However I honestly believe it's the virtual disk it's referring to. It does not and should not have access to host systems during that point.

It might have something to do with the way parallels formated the virtual disk and it's just normal procedure during the win2k installation when something like this occurs.

I haven't installed win2k in years so I can't remember what happens during an installation condition such as that.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Installing Windows 2000 on Parallels I don't see the Installation Assistant screens that Parallels documentation refers to. Instead it opens up a DOS Command screen. Someway through the installation process, it stops and gives the following warning screen. Am I about to wipe my whole hard drive including the MAC files

".......
Setuphas determined that your computers startup hard disk is new or been erased, or that your computer is running an operating system that is incompatible with Windows 2000

(some more)

If your computer is running an O.S. that is incompatible woth W2000, continuing Setup may damage or destroy the existing O.S.

To continue press C

To quit Setup, press F3

......"

What do I do next - patently I am very nervous because the installation is not following/displaying the Installation Assistant. if I press C to continue installing W2000 and it wipes my MAC I will be somewhat distraught to say the least and will probably say Oh bother or something like that!!

Thats a normal and expected warning. This is because you have created a virtual disk and its clean. Just continue on, no harm will come to the Mac partition. :)

bryllenavea

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
what happend?

".......

(some more)

To continue press C

To quit Setup, press F3

......"

what happend?did u install it already?what happend to the mac?pls reply fast

keithh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
It worked fine and I have been using it successfully ever since.

Best of luck

Keith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.