Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ownagetechgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Like many of you I have been trying to make my older machines break into the newer era of Windows. One major hurtle is the EFI32 on all of the first generation Intel macs that makes installing Windows x64 on them nearly impossible.

Recently, I personally using various resources on this forum and on other websites found a way to make a ISO that will install Windows 7/10 x64 on a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1. I've noticed throughout this forum and anywhere else the information on this is scattered, not updated and is not really concise on what you have to do. It's for this reason I chose to write a basic tutorial on how to do this.

This tutorial will guide you on how to make the ISO image from a normal Windows 7 x64 or Windows 10 x64. Likely, this would work with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I also believe this would work for Vista, but I don't know why you'd ever want to install that.... This would also work on any EFI32 machine that has this same issue, specifically many of the first generation Intel Macs.

Requirements:
- A computer running Windows XP+. This could any machine with Windows x86 or x64.
- A Windows 7/10 x64 ISO image.
- The ability to install programs on your Windows machine.

1.) Either put your physical install disk in to your DVD drive, mount your ISO to a folder on your PC or 7-Zip extract the ISO to a new folder. If you have Windows 10 simply right click and select open in Windows Explorer. If you have Windows XP/Vista/7 you will need to use 7-ZIP to extract the files from your ISO. Make sure you extract it to a new folder with only the Windows ISO extract in it. You do not have to extract the files if you have a physical disk in your DVD drive or have mounted it virtually on Windows 10.

2.) Now you need to download Imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/.) This is a free program that will allow for us to correct the issue with the ISO. Download this program and install it on your computer.

3.) Now, open up Imgburn and follow these instructions very carefully...

- Mode -> Build
- Under Source click the folder with the magnifying glass. Navigate to the folder one level above where
you put your extracted ISO and select the folder containing your Windows ISO extract. DO NOT open
the folder, but just select it If you have the disk physically in your disk drive you simply select the disk
drive not the individual folders inside.
- Options -> File System -> ISO9660 + UDF (Should be option already set.)
- Options -> UDF Revision -> 1.02
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Level X - 219 Characters (Select option.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow More than 8 Directory Levels. (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow More Than 255 Characters in Path. (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit -> Multiple Extents (Select the option.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Don't add ';1' Version Number to File (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Bootable Disc -> Make Image Bootable (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Bootable Disc -> Click the Magnifying glass with the folder -> Navigate to the folder/mount
containing your Windows ISO files -> boot -> etfsboot.com -> Select This
- Advanced -> Bootable Disc -> Sectors To Load -> 8
- Destination -> Magnifying glass with folder -> Navigate to the folder where you would like your revised
image to be placed and give it a name.
- Click the Folder to the left of the disc image do not let it change any settings.
- Confirm the Volume Label
- Agree to the final confirmation and wait for your improved image!

4.) Burn to a disk.

5.) Put disk into Mac Pro, make sure you have no other bootable devices as we cannot select it on the boot menu.

Sorry, I'm not the best writer around, but this should be better than most other posts around. I hope that you found this useful. I sure have. I hope you can benefit from my research into this topic. I will leave a couple more Windows 10 Tips at the bottom for the Mac Pro 1,1. Sometime when I have more time I'll make photos or a video.

1.) If you have the nVidia 7300GT, download the final Windows 7 x64 drivers, they will work.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Thank you every much. I've been wanting to do this with my retired 1,1.

ownagetechgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thank you every much. I've been wanting to do this with my retired 1,1.

You're so welcome! I hope everyone on Mac Rumors is able to finally get this working without hours and hours of research into this issue. I'll eventually add pictures to guide, but I really don't have time at the moment or in the near future.

Reactions: Danload

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
Working as advertised. Thanks for posting!
With a proper graphics card the disc shows and is selectable in boot screen.

ownagetechgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Working as advertised. Thanks for posting!
With a proper graphics card the disc shows and is selectable in boot screen.

Glad it helped you! I didn't have any luck on the boot screen with a 7300GT. Or maybe it is because you have the SMC flashed to 2,1. Appreciate the feedback!

Niccador

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Thanks for this information!

I'm new to the whole Apple ecosystem, and decided to dive in head-first with an old Mac Pro 1,1 before investing too much. My intention was to dual-boot Windows 10 on it, for as long as needed, but I was getting disappointed at the lack of 64-bit support, and was getting confused at the smattering of info scattered across the years.

My only question (for now): Is this method intended for a sole Windows installation, turning the Mac Pro into a "pure Windows" box, I guess? Or is it still possible to configure it to dual boot MacOS (without the need of additional newer Mac hardware for the setup)?

tsmvp

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Ottawa,ON
Thanks for this information!

I'm new to the whole Apple ecosystem, and decided to dive in head-first with an old Mac Pro 1,1 before investing too much. My intention was to dual-boot Windows 10 on it, for as long as needed, but I was getting disappointed at the lack of 64-bit support, and was getting confused at the smattering of info scattered across the years.

My only question (for now): Is this method intended for a sole Windows installation, turning the Mac Pro into a "pure Windows" box, I guess? Or is it still possible to configure it to dual boot MacOS (without the need of additional newer Mac hardware for the setup)?

No issues having a dual boot setup. I have a 1,1 with Windows 10 Pro and OSX 10.11 El Capitan running on it. One SSD for each OS with an AMD R9 280X video card and 32GB RAM. To this day, 11 years since I bought it, it is a beast. Runs both like a champ.

CR

vworks

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2017
I would add an info for a problem that blocked me for several hours until I found the solution.
When Windows 7 installs after first reboot and the DVD is still inside, the installation hangs at certain point and does not continue... which is frustrating and weird. The ONLY solution I found is to eject the DVD when Windows setup restarts the Mac pro and then all is fine, the installation is complete and no hanging issues...

Cheers

Caner505

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
No issues having a dual boot setup. I have a 1,1 with Windows 10 Pro and OSX 10.11 El Capitan running on it. One SSD for each OS with an AMD R9 280X video card and 32GB RAM. To this day, 11 years since I bought it, it is a beast. Runs both like a champ.

CR

Hey this is fantastic news. This is the exact setup that I want to have. I'm running the pike efi loader for El capitain on my 1.1 but I really want win7 64bit as a dual boot. I only stumbled on this forum after some failed attempts of installing. I'm wondering then @tsmvp once I do this install am I able to select my boot drive? I have the original graph card but also a GTX 970 (which I haven't gotten much use off).

Thanks so much for this. I'm gonna try it now

F.A.D.

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
Hey this is fantastic news. This is the exact setup that I want to have. I'm running the pike efi loader for El capitain on my 1.1 but I really want win7 64bit as a dual boot. I only stumbled on this forum after some failed attempts of installing. I'm wondering then @tsmvp once I do this install am I able to select my boot drive? I have the original graph card but also a GTX 970 (which I haven't gotten much use off).

Thanks so much for this. I'm gonna try it now

Hello fellow 1.1/2.1 unsers,

this is also my question. Can I just chose which OS to boot by pressing "alt" during the boot process? I have a GPU that shows the boot screen.

What about drivers? Can I install the bootcamp drivers? Is there a special version of bootcamp drivers to choose from?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards,

David

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Glad it helped you! I didn't have any luck on the boot screen with a 7300GT. Or maybe it is because you have the SMC flashed to 2,1. Appreciate the feedback!
Quick Question, Im running an Early Imac with Win t , via Book Camp. If I bought a NEW IMAC Pro, will I be able to Bootcamp Win 7 on it? I heard the Newer Imacs can only Bootcamp Win 10 ? thanks!

Caner505

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
I followed the setup meticulously but for some reason I end up with a file thats only 1.63 mb ? What am I doing wrong ? :(

Caner505

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
A follow up.

The way I got it working was I downloaded "Hrutkay Mods" premade Windows 10 64bit (edited boot efi)

And burnt it to a dvd. I had an older pc laptop lying around, I put the dvd into it and booted/installed it to the drive on the laptop. Once it had all installed, I took out the HDD and put it into the first drive bay in my mac pro!

Booted perfectly (after holding alt on startup and selecting the windows volume). Now I just have to install the various drivers (bootcamp drivers and GPU drivers etc).

Hope this helps people

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Core 2 Duo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2018
Las Vegas
A program I found useful is WinToUSB for making a windows 7 64 bit bootable usb drive, Or even better WinToHDD to install Windows & 64 bit directly to the hard drive with a fire wire cable from a windows desktop computer and the MacBook Pro in "target disk mode"

Reactions: Mandocai

Mandocai

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2018
Like many of you I have been trying to make my older machines break into the newer era of Windows. One major hurtle is the EFI32 on all of the first generation Intel macs that makes installing Windows x64 on them nearly impossible.

Recently, I personally using various resources on this forum and on other websites found a way to make a ISO that will install Windows 7/10 x64 on a Mac Pro 1,1/2,1. I've noticed throughout this forum and anywhere else the information on this is scattered, not updated and is not really concise on what you have to do. It's for this reason I chose to write a basic tutorial on how to do this.

This tutorial will guide you on how to make the ISO image from a normal Windows 7 x64 or Windows 10 x64. Likely, this would work with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I also believe this would work for Vista, but I don't know why you'd ever want to install that.... This would also work on any EFI32 machine that has this same issue, specifically many of the first generation Intel Macs.

Requirements:
- A computer running Windows XP+. This could any machine with Windows x86 or x64.

1.) Either put your physical install disk in to your DVD drive, mount your ISO to a folder on your PC or 7-Zip extract the ISO to a new folder. If you have Windows 10 simply right click and select open in Windows Explorer. If you have Windows XP/Vista/7 you will need to use 7-ZIP to extract the files from your ISO. Make sure you extract it to a new folder with only the Windows ISO extract in it. You do not have to extract the files if you have a physical disk in your DVD drive or have mounted it virtually on Windows 10.

2.) Now you need to download Imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/.) This is a free program that will allow for us to correct the issue with the ISO. Download this program and install it on your computer.

- Mode -> Build
- Under Source click the folder with the magnifying glass. Navigate to the folder one level above where
you put your extracted ISO and select the folder containing your Windows ISO extract. DO NOT open
the folder, but just select it If you have the disk physically in your disk drive you simply select the disk
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow More than 8 Directory Levels. (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow More Than 255 Characters in Path. (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Allow Files Exceeding Size Limit -> Multiple Extents (Select the option.)
- Advanced -> Restrictions -> Don't add ';1' Version Number to File (Check the box.)
- Advanced -> Bootable Disc -> Click the Magnifying glass with the folder -> Navigate to the folder/mount
- Destination -> Magnifying glass with folder -> Navigate to the folder where you would like your revised
- Click the Folder to the left of the disc image do not let it change any settings.

4.) Burn to a disk.

5.) Put disk into Mac Pro, make sure you have no other bootable devices as we cannot select it on the boot menu.

Sorry, I'm not the best writer around, but this should be better than most other posts around. I hope that you found this useful. I sure have. I hope you can benefit from my research into this topic. I will leave a couple more Windows 10 Tips at the bottom for the Mac Pro 1,1. Sometime when I have more time I'll make photos or a video.

1.) If you have the nVidia 7300GT, download the final Windows 7 x64 drivers, they will work.

I only get a question mark on a folder. When I put in the disk

Core 2 Duo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2018
Las Vegas
I only get a question mark on a folder. When I put in the disk
If the disk is good, When you turn on your mac and hear the boot sound quickly hold down the option key and you should get a list of bootable drives with one being a widows boot of some name...

Mah9933

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2017
This procedure (Windows 64 and EFI32), does not force or decrease Mac Pro motherboard's lifespan? I mean: the motherboard has 32 code and the system is 64, it's safe? Or a chance of crashing the motherboard or more components exists? Sorry for this question, it's because motherboard efi32 vs system 64, I am affraid of any crashes, it's 100% safe? I can not only install, but also run this every day without issues?

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
This procedure (Windows 64 and EFI32), does not force or decrease Mac Pro motherboard's lifespan? I mean: the motherboard has 32 code and the system is 64, it's safe? Or a chance of crashing the motherboard or more components exists? Sorry for this question, it's because motherboard efi32 vs system 64, I am affraid of any crashes, it's 100% safe? I can not only install, but also run this every day without issues?

The Mac Pro 1,1 is a 64-bits machine, but as you all know, the EFI is 32-bit (thanks Apple!).

Smack2k

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Would installing Windows 7 or 10 64-bit allow you to also install a newer NVIDIA Graphics card, like a 970 or 1080 in the machine? I know, at least from what I have seen or tried, I cant get those versions of cards running on the Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1 even with all firmware mods and El Capitan running....

coarist

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016

Requirements:

- Mode -> Build

4.) Burn to a disk.

[doublepost=1531470636][/doublepost]Thanks, it is clear and succinct. I followed the steps successfully.
MacPro 1,1 and MacPro 2,1
Windows 8 x64 (adapted install DVD into EFI32 using your steps)
Once it is up and running, it is possible to upgrade from Windows 8 to WIndows 10.

coarist

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
[doublepost=1531470636][/doublepost]Thanks, it is clear and succinct. I followed the steps successfully.
MacPro 1,1 and MacPro 2,1
Windows 7 x64 (adapted install DVD into EFI32 using your steps)
Windows 8 x64 (adapted install DVD into EFI32 using your steps)
Windows 10 x64 (adapted install DVD into EFI32 using your steps)

Danload

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
Hi guys, thanks for all the Help! I am wondering if anyone has an image of a windows 7 on a macbook 2,1 or a 4,1 that I could download to save all this time?

Thank You

talglazer82

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2019

Requirements:

- Mode -> Build

4.) Burn to a disk.

What did you mean by:
"- Click the Folder to the left of the disc image do not let it change any settings."

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.