Installing Windows 7 64 bit on older MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DarkHeraldMage, Mar 2, 2012.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Okay, so I fully own the fact that I didn't read the fine print on the system requirements for boot camp in Lion. I read that it supported Windows 7 Pro in 64 bit and went out and bought it - only to find out there was a separate page that said which model macs would support this and mine isn't on the list. :(

I bought my 17 inch MBP in late 2007 (right after Leopard was released) and apparently the model released a few months after that supports it. I bought my Windows 7 on NewEgg and have opened the software in order to install it, only to find that it isn't compatible. Since I'm essentially stuck with this and can't return the opened software now, does anyone know of a way to make it work? To be specific, the problem starts after partitioning the drive for Windows and then when it reboots I get stuck on a screen that says...

"1.

Select CD-Rom Boot Type:_"

I can't type or do anything here. Can I get around this, or am I just up a creek and out the money, plus money for a functional 32 bit version? :confused:

2. linkboy macrumors member

linkboy

It's possible to install x64 Windows on Macs that don't support it. The issue is with the EFI on the Mac and how Windows boots EFI. You're going to need access to a Windows machine, a blank DVD and it requires the use of the command prompt (not much though).

This website will show you how to fix your DVD

I've done this with my Windows 7 Pro disc, the trial for Server 2008R2 and both the Windows 8 Developer Preview and the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and its worked on all the discs

3. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

4. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Thanks for the links, I did manage to get it working by modifying the 64 bit disc I got and boot camp was able to accept it. I ran into some problems when I tried to load the boot camp drivers, but further online searching turned up the steps needed there (running the .msi file through command prompt instead of the setup). Hope anyone else finding this thread also finds results like I did. :)

5. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Yep, I had to run the MSI as an admin to get it to work. So far everything is fine.

I actually download this reg file that lets you right-click a MSI and run as admin.
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/msi-run-administrator-context-menu-vista