Installing Windows 7 from bootable USB drive onto Macbook.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stevesta717, Oct 12, 2010.

1. stevesta717 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

My macbook hdd needed to be wiped completely and there is no os on there currently. I am planning to install windows 7 on the HDD without the mac os.

Im wondering is there a way to make a mac supported bootable usb drive with windows 7 on it using windows (i do not have access to another mac)

So far i have currently

1. Formatted the USB to Mac OS Extended (HFS+)
    2. Transferred the files in the install .iso onto the drive using Transmac (windows)

However, when i put the usb into the mac, the mac does not read it when it boots regardless if i hold the option button down.

Is this because:

a) transferring the files is not enough and there needs to be some form of boot information on the drive with the install files?

b) the mac needs special software to boot from a usb drive?

ps. the cd drive is screwed otherwise i would of burned it to a DVD and walla, hence the reason why i want to install from a USB Flash :)

All the best,
    thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are two approaches. Both require VM software at least temporarily.

1) Install using VMWare Fusion to your Boot Camp partition

2) Create a throwaway bootable partition on the internal, and make it bootable using a W7 VM.

Both are in the thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B