Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Hello,
I have been going crazy trying to figure this out.
what to figure out- how to install windows 7 on my macbook using external hard drive.

why- superdrive is broke.

I have windows 7 disk image
Parallels 7 installed
I have set up boot camp and set space aside for windows install
and set up virtual machine

Been following this guide
didnt work

http://www.tokyobit.com/2010/01/install-windows-7-in-bootcamp-on-macbook-pro-with-broken-superdrive/

so has anyone done this yet?
this (install windows 7 via extn HD)

thanks guys

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Sorry, but no..

Hello,
I have been going crazy trying to figure this out.
what to figure out- how to install windows 7 on my macbook using external hard drive.

why- superdrive is broke.

I have windows 7 disk image
Parallels 7 installed
I have set up boot camp and set space aside for windows install
and set up virtual machine

Been following this guide
didnt work

http://www.tokyobit.com/2010/01/install-windows-7-in-bootcamp-on-macbook-pro-with-broken-superdrive/

so has anyone done this yet?
this (install windows 7 via extn HD)

thanks guys

You CANNOT install windows 7 from an external drive.. Microsoft is to blame for this one as they prefer to have you install it from an internal drive.. I believe there is a way to get it to boot from a USB flash drive, but it requires a whole lot of tweaking to get it to work.. Not worth it, in my opinion.. OS X is a whole different story, however - that can be installed from virtually any external drive or flash drive.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
You CANNOT install windows 7 from an external drive.. Microsoft is to blame for this one as they prefer to have you install it from an internal drive.. I believe there is a way to get it to boot from a USB flash drive, but it requires a whole lot of tweaking to get it to work.. Not worth it, in my opinion.. OS X is a whole different story, however - that can be installed from virtually any external drive or flash drive.

its for my gfs parents they need ie to watch dabdate.com streaming. If I could get it to stream on os x I would do it in a heart beat even bought flip4mac.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
OS X won't let you boot legacy software without a superdrive. I've tried at least 100 times. It can't be done. Boot Camp will not allow you to install from a USB drive. If you have the ISO of windows 7 just install it in parallels and enjoy.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
OS X won't let you boot legacy software without a superdrive. I've tried at least 100 times. It can't be done. Boot Camp will not allow you to install from a USB drive. If you have the ISO of windows 7 just install it in parallels and enjoy.

What he said :) Sorry man.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
Can't you just do that in Parallels? Why do you need Boot Camp for simple streaming?

B

I am not 100% on how to use parallels

Basically I just need that one stupid site to stream, so I need to find a way to stream and I wont have to worry about windows ever.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Forget Parallels, VMWARE Fusion is much easier to use and less buggy.

The OP claimed Parallels 7 was already installed in the first post.

marshallbedsaul, read the Parallels documentation or find a guide. Installing and using Windows within Parallels will be FAR easier that what you were trying to do in your first post.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.