Installing Windows 7 - Getting "Select CD-Rom Boot Type"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by filmfanatic24, Aug 19, 2010.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

Here are the highlights:

Wanted to install Windows 7 64bit on my iMac running Snowleopard. Tried 5 times for Bootcamp to partition on the HDD, never could. So I formated the HDD and partitioned it before ever re-installing (figured I would save a step). I then installed Snow Leopard and restored from my Time Machine back up.

Today I go to install Windows 7. I insert the DVD, reboot the machine, hold down Option key and the HDD pops up with the DVD that says Windows and a DVD that says EFI Boot. Hitting the enter key on EFI Boot causes the machine to freeze. Selecting Windows disc gets me to a black screen that says "Select CD-Rom Boot Type" and I can't hit any keys.

After some googling I see that this was a problem with the initial public tests of Windows 7 64bit with some work arounds if you had access to Windows (I don't, that's why I bought Windows 7). I haven't been able to find anything recent about it.

Is there some fix for this?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467704

You have access to Windows. Install what you have in a VM using Virtualbox, or a trial of Parallels/VMWare, just don't enter a product key or try to activate it.

EDIT: Or, just use Win 7 32 bit. ;)

B

3. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I WOULD, but I bought the copy of 64 bit OEM and I don't believe I can return it for 32 bit.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And there's your other problem. You are not an OEM/System Builder. OEM is not licensed to end users and a condition of the license is resale to an unrelated third party end-user.

You can try to call MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246 but since you are not following their license they really don't have to help you out at all.

That said, in many cases you can just use your 64 bit product key with the 32 bit version. You could download an official ISO from the links here: http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/ and see if it'll accept your product key I know those links have worked for the Student version product keys.

B

5. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was reading that most Keys aren't for 64 and 32 but one or the other.

I guess my question is, If I do the work around in Windows and burn a new disc, will it be 64 bit or 32 bit on the installation?

This is an older iMac and I guess there is the problem with it not being able to load the disc.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've personally done the 32 bit product key (from MS launch event) installed using 64 bit media downloaded from TechNet. Again OEM may be different, but you asked for it.

Jowie's method makes a 64 bit Windows that boots as if it was W32 to deal with the fact that older Macs only supported EFI 32. many have used this method successfully.

May I ask specifically which iMac?

B

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The retail keys (not sure about OEM) are the same between 32 and 64. OEM licences are available to end-users in some countries.

8. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it is from 2007.

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Ram

So it boots AS a 32 bit but when I actually get it installed and boot it up will it boot 64 bit?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. Microsoft finally got around to implementing EFI boot, but it only supports a 64 bit EFI. Macs have been EFI based since they switched to Intel, but only got 64 bit EFI ~2008.

NOTE: Your Mac is (obviously) not supported by Apple to run W7 64 bit. So the BC drivers won't load automatically. You will have to force them and may have to find some drivers on your own.

You will need an OSX 10.6 (or 10.5 in a pinch) DVD for the drivers.

B

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're better off making a new disc. This issue doesn't appear to happen on newer Macs. I'm going to ballpark it into 2008/2009.

My Macbook Late 2007 has EFI64 and it does still occur. Windows 7's EFI boot loader and Apple's firmware just don't like each other on older models.

11. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Follow the instructions here:

http://jowie.com/blog/post/2008/02/...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

You'll need to use the trial of Fusion or VirtualBox to make yourself a temporary VM (don't enter a serial or activate) to install Windows 7. Then follow those instructions to create a bootable DVD. Nuke Fusion/VirtualBox and insert your DVD whilst booting. Et voila!

I followed these instructions when my 2006 Mac Pro had the same issue, and it works fine. It says Vista, but it works for W7 as well - keep an eye out for the Windows 7 additions in bold.

12. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well right now I'm between installing 7 on my iMac or my 2099 Macbook Pro.

I guess this would be going a lot smoother on the Macbook, but the iMac has the better video card so I would really like to make it work on it.

I guess worst case senario is that I make the new DVD and try and install it and just not put the CD Key (like I'm doing now when running VirtualBox) and if it isn't working well on the iMac I'll just scrap it and go to the Macbook.

What a mess.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple just needs to update the firmware on the older models. Not that they'll ever do that.

You don't need to key to install Windows 7 either so feel free to play around before committing. You can still download the Windows 7 Enterprise trial image from Microsoft itself.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I posted official ISO links to all the other versions as well so you can actually stick with the one you want to use not just Enterprise. If you have physical media, use that. Just don't enter a product key and you can try it out for 30-120 days. Get everything working and then apply the product key.

B

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quite right. We do end up repeating ourselves quite often.