Installing Windows 7 in an old Mac with no optical drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iRock1, Sep 15, 2013.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Hi,

I need to install Windows 7 on my iMac (late 2009). The superdrive is dead, so I'm trying it with an external optical drive. So far I've failed miserably.

Is there any chance to have Windows installed on my machine without buying a new superdrive? Please, even a tricky one?

Cheers.

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

What is the external drive doing?

3. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

The drive works fine. The thing is that after the first reboot I get a black screen and an error asking me to insert a Windows disc.

4. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Are you trying to install the x64 version?

According to this document, it should work:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

When you reboot and hold the "option" button, do you see Windows as an option with a picture of an optical disc above it?

5. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Installing Windows 7 in an old Mac with no optical drive

Sorry to revive such an old topic, but I prefer that instead of creating a new thread with the same story.

The thing is that I gave up on this a long time ago, but now I really need to have Windows installed and being able to boot from its partition.

Responding to the question above, yes, I see the Windows CD across the options, but after I go there I get the same black screen asking me to insert a "boot disk" and pressing a key.

PS: not sure if it helps, but I should clarify that the SuperDrive (or SuperCrap) it's still in my iMac — it just doesn't read DVD's.

6. thebadgator87 macrumors member

Im having the same problem somehow i got something in it and it wont work and from my understanding 10.9 is setup to only use the internal superdrive to boot the windows disc still trying to figure a way around it

7. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Ok. First off it needs to be clarified that older Macs (not sure which ones specifically, but my iMac late 2009 is one of them) CAN NOT boot from a USB unit, be it an external optical drive or a USB flashdrive with Windows on it. It's not a matter of the OS version, but hardware (newer Macs without optical drive will boot from USB devices).

Being that said, the only way of officially installing Windows in these older models is to use the SuperDrive. However, there is a great guide that explains how to bypass Apple's restrictions and install Windows without a SuperDrive here: http://huguesval.com/blog/2012/02/i...with-virtualbox/comment-page-7/#comment-24039

Consider though that the process is not near of being simple, takes about 2-3 hours and it involves installing multiple softwares, typing some commands in Terminal and even on the Windows console. However it's nothing impossible, and if you know how to follow instructions step by step you should be fine.

Sad to say, this is the only way of installing Windows without a SuperDrive.