Installing Windows 7 iso(No disk)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jrv, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Jrv macrumors regular

I bought the student version of Windows 7 to dual boot on my macbook pro and instead of a disk, they gave me an .iso file. Now, for whatever reason, Disk Utility absolutely REFUSES to mount the image. No amount of workarounds are effective.

So obviously, since Disk Utility is useless, I need to find another program that will virtually mount this .iso and run it as if it were a CD so I can install Windows 7 via bootcamp. Problem is, from what I can tell, NO FREE PROGRAM exists for Mac that can do this. The only program that can is Roxio's +100$ "Toast" program, and I'd rather not waste my money on such a ripoff.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to here them. Preferably, a free alternative to Toast that allows me to mount an .iso to a virtual drive.

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

3. Jrv, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

where did you buy windows that they didn't give you a disk, and just sent you(how did they send it to you also?) an iso

5. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

I went on their site. They had an add that said something like "Buy Windows 7 for 29.99 college students only"

I went through the steps, verified my title as a student, entered all my debit card information, and they sent me to a download page that prompted me to download an .iso file.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I bought the same version, but I didn't see an option to download the ISO. Instead, I downloaded an ISO in an EXE envelope that was a breeze to install.

7. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Will disk utility let you burn it? Then install Win 7?

8. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

Explain.

Upon further investigation, the download page allows me to either download an iso, or download 3 different .exe files.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't .exe files not compatible with Mac OS?

----------

As we speak, I'm burning the iso to a dvd in the hopes that I can just install it from there after I've burned it. I'll tell you if it works.

9. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

It's not going to let you install virtually because it's a .ISO. The Windows Installer is a mini-operating system that your Mac has to be booted from in order to install Windows 7.

In other words, burning a DVD is the right move here.

10. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i suggest editing out that link..having your full name avail. prob. isn't the best idea.

who cares what someone else on a internet forum thinks, there are plenty of other mac forums that can and will help you even if all these guys did think you pirated it, not worth compromising safety. :eek:

11. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

I tried doing that, and I got a " medium write error."

I'm going to go out and buy another dvd and see if it's a problem with the dvd.

12. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Also you might have a corrupted download of the ISO. It might worth it to you to try to re download the ISO again. They usually will let you do this because they know corruption happens. It would be worth the effort.....
    That might be why Disk Utility would not open the ISO....

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

14. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

It'll open the ISO, it just wont mount it.

15. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

You don't need to mount the ISO. Just burn it with Disk Utility.

16. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

Eh, I don't have a DVD with me. Would apple's dvds be a safe investment?

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As others have already said, you need to get it on a disc to be able to boot from it to install it in Boot Camp. If you want to use Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox you mount the ISO in that, not Disk Utility.

EDIT: If you really want to proceed without a disc read this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13166177&postcount=86 (entire thread).

B

18. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny