Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I'm installing Windows 7 on my 27" iMac. I've seen quite a few issues about installing Windows 7 on said iMac in the forums.
I've previously installed Windows 7 on my Mac Pro, is it the same process?

I've not searched, but I'm kind of hoping for a simple answer. So I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know. I have the Core i7 model with the 4850M GPU, 2TB HDD, 4GB RAM.

It's installing as I write this, after it's finished I'm planning on installing the drivers from my 27" iMac disc.

Kind Regards

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you have LEGIT version it should work without any issues. If you face anything, let us know and we can try to help but in most cases it's very straight through process, just like installing it on normal PC

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I saw the screen where I should have pressed a key to boot from the DVD and I didn't, I now have the black screen issue. I'm intending to follow the boot from DVD step and delete the mentioned drivers in post 19, however how do I restart my iMac? :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I saw the screen where I should have pressed a key to boot from the DVD and I didn't, I now have the black screen issue. I'm intending to follow the boot from DVD step and delete the mentioned drivers in post 19, however how do I restart my iMac? :D

You have to force restart it (hold power button) I think. Don't miss it this time ;)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If you have LEGIT version it should work without any issues. If you face anything, let us know and we can try to help but in most cases it's very straight through process, just like installing it on normal PC

"Legit version" or not has no impact on the install whatsoever. You have 30 days to enter a valid serial.

The main issue is with the 4850. Best way around it is to use an external monitor to install the bootcamp drivers, after they're installed it will work fine.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Legit version or not has no impact on the install. The major issue is with the 4850. Best way around it is to use an external monitor to install the bootcamp drivers, after they're installed it will work fine.

Legit version (I mean a legit disk, doesn't matter do you have license or not) does in fact matter. Self burned versions may cause issues as the burning session may not have been 100% correct or the type of DVD is wrong etc... I've had issues with this couple of times, it just won't read the disk as OS so you can't boot from disk (not with Mac though)

Just pointing out that you should use legit version anyway ;)

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
My Win7 version is legit, both in legality and originality :)
Best way around it is to use an external monitor to install the bootcamp drivers, after they're installed it will work fine.
Just plugged my dad's 24" ACD in, doing that now.

SO after I install my iMac's drivers I'll be all good?

EDIT: Success, thank you everyone! External screen FTW!

Blathian

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
i have driver issues with windows 7 64bit om my new imac 27" i7. Bootcamp 3.0 drivers constantly crash and "recover", and the 3.1 drivers gave me the 16bit banding issue. Ive posted in several forums ect, have yet to find a solution. I think alot of people just arnt keen enough to notice the "banding", some desktops dont show it as bad, but really noticable when you know what you are looking for.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
i have driver issues with windows 7 64bit om my new imac 27" i7. Bootcamp 3.0 drivers constantly crash and "recover", and the 3.1 drivers gave me the 16bit banding issue. Ive posted in several forums ect, have yet to find a solution. I think alot of people just arnt keen enough to notice the "banding", some desktops dont show it as bad, but really noticable when you know what you are looking for.

Well thanks.

What I HAVE noticed is that the banding does not show up while using the software that I use under Boot Camp, like CS5 or AutoCad. As long as it does not interfere with what I am doing, it does not bother me.

That to me is more important than sweating it until they come up with a fix.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I updated to 3.1 and then downloaded the latest ATI drivers (and the Catalyst Control Centre software) from this download link: Mr. Link (they are for Windows 7 64-bit)

I don't know if that'll help you guys or not.

Blathian

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Yeah I think the people who say 10.4 is a fix, just arnt aware if the "color banding" or font see it in their applications. Definetly see it in certain desktop pictures and games. 16bit for sure. I'm living with 8.6601, I get graphic driver failures while in windows 7, but games run fine, weird

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007

I had the same problem. It appears as if the wrong drivers are installed for Win 7 64bit. The drivers that appear in the Device Manager were for ATI Radeon 4850, when they should have been ATI Radeon Mobility 4850. By installing the mobility drivers from ATI's website the crashes went away for me. (As well as crashes, the desktop would freeze except for the mouse, and I was seeing a purple square mosaic pattern appear)

Not sure if Apple is supplying the wrong drivers or Windows is detecting the wrong hardware.

Blathian

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
10.4 bundles both desktop & mobility together, so as far as I know they are the same. 10.4 will fix the issue you had, but creates the "color banding" issue, still have yet to find a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.