Installing Windows 7 on a MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ohla313, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I am trying to install Windows 7 onto my new MacBook Air 11.6. I got the program file from the MSDN site and it is in an .iso format. How would I go about burning this onto a USB flash drive so I can install it? Can I burn it to DVD and use disc sharing with my MBP to install too?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The methods for installing without the super drive are unreliable.

Your best bet is to buy/borrow a superdrive. Burn it to DVD and install from that. If that's not an option and you have time to try them out, try any of the approaches from this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

B

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Several days ago, after reading about both those methods and promptly tuning out and forgetting about the answers, I made life easy on myself and got an external drive (the :apple: SuperDrive in my case).

If you go that route get a USB extension as it will make things much simpler lol.

Besides you have 14 days to return the :apple:SD

4. ohla313, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Would I be able to use CD-sharing with my MBP though? Is it possible when installing Windows via Boot Camp?

EDIT: Nevermind. This thread helped me immensely.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1201123

Basically Boot Camp 4 is made for MacBook Airs!

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Nevermind...Ok so I used Boot Camp Assistant and it was able to mount my Windows 7 iso file onto a USB flash drive I have. Everything goes smoothly and then restarts to starting Windows. Then I click Install Now and this message pops up: "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK."

Didn't Boot Camp Assistant create everything I needed?? What do I do from here? I get two options show up: Rescan or Browse for the drivers. There is BOOTCAMP C: and Boot X:, I tried both but still nothing!

What do I do??

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

A final post regarding this. After reading this thread in the Apple Discussion communities, I ordered a new USB drive to try the install from. It came in the mail today and I ran the install off of a Kingston drive and I am happy to say it installed flawlessly!

So to those with this problem, consider a new USB flash drive and it will solve your Windows install problem.