Installing Windows 7 on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ldu04182, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ldu04182 macrumors newbie

Hey, i am fairly new to macs. I recieved my copy of windows 7 today. I am trying to install it onto the new imac 27". So this is the problem:

I partition my hard drive and begin installation of windows.

Go through the set up and before it completes the installation the computer restarts and starts up windows.

After this the screen just goes blank.

Any help on what to do and what this means?

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Edit: read your post wrong. Your new hardware might need a new driver and I think it could be the display one if the screen just goes black. Are you able to output the video to another monitor?

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You need to be more clear on what "after this" means.
    After the white applescreen? You did insert your Windows 7 dvd into the drive, now did you?

4. McFlossy macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem with a new 27" iMac and am familiar with Macs and the Boot Camp Windows installation process.

1. Run Boot Camp from OSX, partition the drive.
    2. Insert Win 7 cd, proceed with installation.
    3. Computer restarts and the 'preparing for initial setup' message displays with the Win 7 splash screen. When it switches to where it should be displaying the Win 7 desktop, the screen is black.

I can hear the Mac still running, but there's no display. It's like it's waiting for some type of user input for the intial Windows setup.

I've done a hard shutdown and restarted Windows with the exact same result. After reboot, I get the 'Windows was not shut down properly' message with the 3 safe mode options, where choosing either gets me the 'Windows cannot complete setup in safe mode'. And any key reboots it.

I'm inclined to agree that it's a video driver issue since the 27" is brand new. Is there any workaround for this? I was thinking of installing Vista instead, and upgrading to Win7 once installed, but if it's a driver thing, it would just be a long way to the same result.

Any ideas?

5. shfawaz macrumors newbie

shfawaz

I am having the same exact issue too on a 27" iMac tonight. Not sure where to go from here. I am very familiar with bootcamp and Mac's & PC's.

6. atonba macrumors newbie

Exactly same problem here. Please help! And how can I get back to OSX??? Now I'm stuck in Windows 7 install process, I'ts a loop!

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Nobody read the news article on MR a week or so ago? It linked to this article which says Windows 7 in Boot Camp will work with 10.6 before the end of the year. Some people who got it to work in 10.5 had older hardware, I doubt it'll work right on the 21.5 and 27" or the newer MacBook systems yet...

8. atonba macrumors newbie

9. Echuu macrumors newbie

Just got the 27", however seems like i have a somewhat rare problem in that the drivers that you need to delete do not exist, not quite sure what to do now.