installing windows 7 on imac 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andriasl, Jun 16, 2017.

1. andriasl macrumors newbie

Hi guys, how do I install windows 7 64 bit using bootcamp on the new imac 5k?

the bootcamp states it only supports windows 10 and later.

Appreciate your input! thanks in advance!

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Pretty sure it'll work normally even if it says it only supports 10 and up. If not, just get the drivers from BootCamp, but install without Boot Camp. That way you can get an EFI install too.

3. andriasl thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, could you elaborate further?

This is the message I get when I tried to install win7 bootcamp.jpeg

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Guess Boot Camp does enforce that rule then.

Get the necessary drivers from Boot Camp. I.e. tell Boot Camp you won't be installing Windows through Boot Camp, but you just want to get the drivers.
    Partition your disk with Disk Utility, not Boot Camp.
    Hold alt whilst booting, and boot into a Windows install media, and install Windows onto the partition, all without Boot Camp. Boot Camp isn't necessary really

5. andriasl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I saw this article which mentioned Bootcamp has dropped support for Win 7:

Does your method allow for installation of Win7?

6. andriasl thread starter macrumors newbie

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Yes, but driver support might not be there, so the device might not perform properly under Windows 7

I don't believe so, no. If you download the Win 10 ISO and use your Win 7 product key, it should upgrade the product key

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The new iMac uses the Kaby Lake CPU. Kaby Lake is only supported on Windows 10. There are no official drivers from Intel and MS disabled updates. So, you will have to use a third party hack to get updates to work and try to get the Windows 10 drivers for Kaby Lake to work in Windows 7 or try to use older drivers not made for Kaby Lake and generic drivers.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

On top of that, HiDPI support in Windows 7 is next-to-none meaning it will look terrible on the 5K Retina Display (either everything very tiny or very pixelated).

So, definitely a better idea to go with Windows 10 (although HiDPI support in any version of Windows is still not as good as MacOS and probably never will be).

10. imacken macrumors 65816

My late 2015 5K is fine on Windows 10, res set to 5120x2880 and scaling to 200%.

11. andriasl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. An update to this thread. I was able to download and use win 10 pro using my win7 license key.