Installing Windows 7 on MacBook w/out DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by laptoplover2, Jun 22, 2013.

1. laptoplover2 macrumors member

I think there's some sort of error with my MacBook's disk drive that's causing it to not install other operating systems on it from the disk, but once in a blue moon it can boot up a live cd of linux. I kind of need to install Windows 7 on this MacBook, so I was wondering, what if I were to take the Windows 7 install DVD, convert it to an ISO file, and make a third partition restored by the iso, then boot up from that third partition of the Windows 7 installer, and copy that onto the blank partition, then once windows 7 is installed, remove the installer partition so it's just OS X and Bootcamp...? Sound good? I did it to dual boot Lion and Mountain Lion on my other MacBook.

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

No it won't work because Windows has security features to prevent people from ripping DVD's to ISO's. I'm not sure how the hackers do it and don't care, but you can download the legit Windows ISO from the Microsoft website if you have a real key.

Windows 7 download on Microsoft's website:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d