Installing windows 7 on the new MBPs

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alex00100, May 15, 2017.

1. alex00100 macrumors regular

Heyo all, I've been trying to install windows 7 on a 2016 MBP but no luck so far. So far tried to make a bootable usb drive but when I reboot the Mac with option key pressed, it's not shown there for some reason. Anyone else tried to do this?
    Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, very little point even installing W7 on that machine. It wouldn't be able to make the most of the hardware power if you could get it installed, and even if you could, the drivers would be all over the shop. W7 would run buttery smooth on a VM if you really need it.

As much as I personally prefer Windows 7 and don't like Windows 10, you've got to install 10 on your system. On a 2016 MBP I wouldn't consider installing W7 and as there's no easy/official way of installing it anyway, I'd just bite the bullet and move to 10.

4. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd assume same thing with windows 8? I have windows 10 now and I hate it so much. Last time I used it I couldn't even install the app I needed because of tons of security while the help doc from Microsoft told me to use the command line and type stuff there. Plus all these pop up windows, updates every day and ads in the start menu. I wish I could just install Windows XP again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah I know it's a barely usable joke of an OS, especially with the DISM repairs, bugs, daily updates, no way to boot into Safe Mode or disable specific updates... Win 8.1 was infinitely easier to troubleshoot. But there are a few quick things you can do to make W10 more usable and running faster if you haven't already tried these.

1) Windows+I/CMD+I to bring up Settings. Then System, notifications & actions. Disable all of them, especially the tips & tricks one.

2) Settings> Privacy> General, disable all.

3) Settings> Update & Security> Advanced Options> Choose how updates are delivered, turn off.

Check for updated drivers through device manager too. Pretty much the only good thing about W10 is the driver support.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2017 ---
    Oh forgot to mention: and if it's not letting you use Metro apps it's because it's on the built-in Admin account.

Win+R/CMD+R for Run, type in netplwiz. Add new user there. Then remember to go through Settings to change new user to an admin. To disable admin account from there, type net user Administrator /active:no into an elevated Command Prompt.

7. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both of replies, I guess I'll be getting used to windows 10 in the coming time. I only need it for a couple programs unavailable for Mac anyway.
    keysofanxiety, how do I go about updating my drivers through device manager?

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ah couldn't be simpler. CMD+R/WIN+R, devmgmt.msc and press OK. Expand the main drivers, right-click, select Update Driver Software. Much nicer driver support than on 7 or 8, in that it actually finds updated drivers. :p

Main ones you'll need to look at will be Sound, Wi-Fi, & iGPU/Display Adapters (Intel). Nothing beyond that really. For dGPU you should use GFExperience on NVIDIA or AMD AutoDetect for Radeon cards.

9. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular