Installing windows 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LJCTNK, May 26, 2014.

1. LJCTNK macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have a few question about installing windows 7 or 8 on my macbook pro. I have a macbook pro, not sure what model exactly but I believe the one before the macbook with retina display.

I was wondering which windows to choose first of all. I've heard windows 7 is better on mac, but not sure if thats correct. And also, should I use boot camp? Or is there a better solution available?

And my second question is, my disk drive never actually worked on my laptop, but I do have a USB superdrive. Will that still work?

And final question, I do not have the CD that comes with the mac originally. Will I need that? If I do, where can I get it?

Thanks, any help well be appreciated!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Choice between 7 or 8 is mostly personal choice and compatibility with the apps you need to run.

You have the choice to run Windows in bootcamp where you boot into either OS X or Windows or via a virtual machine like Parallels or VMWare. Bootcamp is best for gaming. I use Parallels but VMware is also good. It has the advantage of being able to switch between windows and Mac apps with just a mouse click. I can also run multiple copies of windows. I run XP and two versions of 7. You can't do that with bootcamp.

I think there is a problem installing windows from a USB DVD. You can install from an ISO.

If you run a virtual machine you will need 8gb or more of memory.

3. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you.

I think I will go for windows 8 using boot camp. But you didn't answer my question about if I need anything else besides the windows 8 ISO file. I read somewhere that you need the MAC cd drive, which I don't have. Any ideas?

Sorry for my questions, just want to make sure I have all the requirements before I go and buy windows.

Thanks

4. HappyJun macrumors newbie

Install Windows On A Macbook

You need to know first if your mac is compatible with Windows 8 since other older models do not support Windows 8 on BootCamp.

Please see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

To check on the model, click on the Apple logo on the Menu bar, choose About this Mac, then click More Info. Under Overview, you will see the model of your mac. After that, check if it has BootCamp compatibility with Windows 7 or 8 based on the link above.

Hope this helps.

5. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

You can install from a USB if you don't have the CD drive

6. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I think you've all answered my question! Now let the fun begin!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if the MBP doesn't have an optical drive, cMBPs that do require an install from the optical drive.

Edit: I think Win8 is the way to go over win7 as well :)

8. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

So in my case, it wouldn't work if I install in on a usb? I have a 13-inch late 2011

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never had any luck with installing windows via USB on a MBP with an optical drive. Maybe there's work arounds now but when I was trying it, I couldn't get it to work. I eventually cut my losses and burned a DVD from the ISO.

I have a rMBP now (no optical drive) and bought windows 8.1 from MS, the boot camp process was seamless and simple in creating a bootable USB flash drive. I don't think you'll have that option since your computer has an optical drive.

10. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is my optical drive isn't working anymore, and I heard I may have issues using a USB super drive

Reasons why I came to this forum, I usually try to work my way around problems but I really don't want to waste $119 for windows 8 if I'm not able to make it work.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

12. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

This is the only workaround I know of that's had even a reasonable chance of success.

13. LJCTNK thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. I think I may just go for a virtual machine. I have a bad feeling I'm going to run into some issues. And I really don't want to spend hours banging my head against the wall to make it work.

I've never used a virtual machine yet, but seems easier to work with.