Installing Windows 7 Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jinx5000, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jinx5000 macrumors member

I have a question before i begin my boot camp setup.

i built a custom gaming rig back in march and no longer want it so i am selling it. however, i want to keep the copy of windows 7 i installed on it. i just bought an imac and am planning on running bootcamp for gaming and obviously need a valid licenses for windows.

I was wondering if i can simply install the same CD and license with my new imac w/o having to deactivate/remove it from my pc?

the windows was not preinstalled and was not an upgrade. I purchased the win7 Pro CD's in 32 and 64 bit.

can i install one product on multiple machines? or do i have to manually deactivate it on the previous machine or will that automatically be done when installing it on my new imac?

i tried contacting Microsoft, but their tech support blows as its been over 90 days, so phone and online support is charged beginning at $50

just looking for a way to run boot camp w/o wasting a $200 version of Win7 pro.

thanks in advance for your responses!

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You can use the liscense key and disc that you used for your PC to install on your Mac, no problem. However, you can only install one copy of Windows to one machine. You won't need to do any deactivation on your PC, you can just install Windows on your Mac and activate it normally. But you will have to remove Windows from your computer, perhaps erasing the partition and install Linux as the OS for selling it.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you don't Windows will "see" the key in use twice and will ask you to activate again, essentially deactivating the other copy.

Another alternative for your sale would be to wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Win 7 Pro BUT DO NOT ENTER A PRODUCT KEY, so it will be in 30 day trial mode. The buyer can then opt to extend that or just buy a key online.

B

4. jinx5000 thread starter macrumors member

Great input thanks. So i think I'll just install it on my boot camp partition.

Are you sure that it will automatically deactivate the version on my pc? Or will I have to contact Microsoft to let them know what's going on or which device I want the licenes for?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Basically how it works is that an activated Windows system dials in to Microsoft and asks. "Is my key and activation valid?" If the key has been activated on another machine it will raise a flag and say "This activation is not valid, please reactivate". So, if you don't REMOVE or otherwise disable the one on the pc, the key is cached and whoever has it can hit "reactivate". Since you bought retail, might actually go through the online automatic activation.

If that happens, when your iMac checks back in "Is my key and activation valid?" it will say "No, some other schmuck activated it on a gaming rig" and force you to reactivate on the iMac.

Bottom line. If you intend to sell the gaming rig and use the Windows on your iMac.

You need to render the old install inoperable, either by removing it (wipe the drive or install Linux over it) or installing a fresh copy over it (without providing the product key you are transferring to the iMac.).

If you don't you could lose your iMac's activation.

B