Installing Windows 7 through bootcamp issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thealpha1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. thealpha1 macrumors member

Computer: Macbook Pro 2011 17" - Operating System: El Capitan

Hey guys.

Unfortunately I am experiencing some issues installing Windows 7 through bootcamp. I purchased Windows 7 earlier this morning as an online, digital download.

I am going through the boot camp process on the Mac and when I am creating a partition, the progress bar is just sticking half way and will not move. This has been happening multiple times after trying to install it over and over again - I am extremely frustrated because I have pretty much spend the majority of the day trying to get my machine to run Windows 7.

Picture of the progress bar stuck half way: http://bornurban.com/imgupload/image.php?di=LBG0

I have even tried to format my Mac, installing a brand new version of El Capitan in the hopes of it would allow me to partition the HD but even that is taking 5 hours plus to do and I think that hangs..

I am seriously pulling my hair out here.. any ideas guys?

Thank you!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

It sounds like you may be having HD or HD cable problems. Run Disk Utility and select/run First Aid on your HD volume to see if there any errors.

3. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi there.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have just checked what you recommended (Disk Utility -> run First Aid -> Everything seems OK).

However, when I visited that page, I can now see that bootcamp has partitioned the HD.. maybe it crashed after it completed it? where do I go now to install Windows? when I run Bootcamp the software is asking me if I could like to restore it.

Thanks!

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

5. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for taking the time do to that for me.

I am however, running into another problem. I have freshly installed Mavericks and now created a bootable USB drive to install Windows 7 but every time the computer restarts to install Windows 7, I get the following error "No booteable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

For whatever reason, the system is not recognizing it.. is there a tutorial out there to make sure that I am doing it correctly?

Picture: http://bornurban.com/imgupload/image.php?di=6F4V

Thank you!

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Mavericks and Yosemite will only loading the Windows 7 ISO from the internal CD drive for a 2011 MBP (for MBPs with a built in superdrive). They will not look for a USB drive. El Capitan will supposedly support using USB, I believe. Again I am not an expert so maybe other people are more familiar or get help from the forum I suggested in a my previous post.

Here is a link to creating a Windows ISO CD:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203909

7. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Am I right in thinking that I am going to have to upgrade my Mac OS to maybe El Capitan again to hopefully install Windows 7?