Installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rainalkar, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Rainalkar macrumors member

So, the first impressions of Air.

Build quality is fantastic. I never hear any noise from it, nor does it warm up significantly. The original resolution made the text way too small for me, so I switched to a much lower one. However, this makes the text on some webpages kind of blurry. Some Youtube videos work, some require Flash. After I switched resolution when opening webpages sometimes they are centered way to the right, and not even with trackpad can I fix them to stay more to the left, they just revert back. Keyboard is fantastic, the trackpad is great. Magnetic adapter is something :).

I always had in mind that there is a strong possibility that I will need to install Windows because of plenty of incompatible software that I use. Because many are games, Parallels is out of the question. By reading the forum, it would seem there are 2 options:

1. bootcamp install of Windows 7
    2. delete OSX altogether

I've read plenty of depressing posts regarding drivers issues etc. What I need is a suggestion what I need to do in order to get a pure Windows experience, as close as possible as if it were some Windows laptop for instance. I will not be using OSX; I am simply too old to switch. I find it good enough in these few days that I've meddled with it, but not that much (if at all) better then Windows.

Could you help me how to do this? Thank you

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

If virtualization is in fact not an option, by all means test drive bootcamp. I've got a bootcamp partition on a MBP and it's a darn nice windows laptop. :) For the MBA all I need is virtualization, and it works very well for my needs.

The bootcamp assistant is in /Applications/Utilities, will help you carve out a chunk of your SSD to load windows onto, and give you the option to boot windows via keyboard intervention at boot time.

3. Rainalkar thread starter macrumors member

Someone suggested that I move the OSX to a bootable USB and use the SSD just for Windows. What is the difference compared to bootcamp?

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

When using the bootcamp installer I believe the required Windows drivers are loaded so everything works as expected. Perhaps migrate OSX to the external USB device first (something like Carbon Copy Cloner works well), boot from that and use bootcamp to allocate the entire SSD to Window and install.

Sharing the SSD between OSX and Windows would limit the amount of space each has available internally.

5. Rainalkar thread starter macrumors member

6. Rainalkar thread starter macrumors member

So I installed Windows 7 through bootcamp. Everything went supersmooth. I now have one partition with OSX of 40GB, and 75 or so for Windows. I don't need that much space atm, so I will leave it like that. I will fiddle a bit with the controls to get a grip of them. I will let you know if I need some help. Thank (for now)!

Btw, Windows reports 13 hours with full battery. Live and see :).

7. Rainalkar thread starter macrumors member

Update:

I think I get some 7h battery with normal usage (screen brightness on max, wifi on).

One question: the finger scroll is too fast and jumpy in windows. Is there any way to make it work as in OSX? That smooth scrolling is one of the major advantages that I have been able to deduce up to now.