Installing Windows 8.1 on MBA

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GrappaGreen, Mar 20, 2015.

1. GrappaGreen macrumors newbie

Hi all,

New to the forum so hello!

Hope someone can help with the above.

Brand new MBA and attempting to install Windows 8.1 Pro to dual-boot. ISO is legit etc. Using 16GB USB 3.0 drive.

After executing Boot Camp Assistant I run through the wizard which formats the USB, d/l's Windows setup files, copies to USB and then prompts to resize the HDD and create a partition for Windows. After doing this the machine reboots in readiness to install from the USB.

The problem I have is that it never boots into the Windows installer - only back to OSX. I've tried pressing various startup keys (option, V etc.) and these appear to do nothing. Whatever I do it just boots back into OSX..

The machine has no peripherals plugged in (other than USB drive).

Really appreciate if someone could advise as I'm getting nowhere.

Regards,

Simon

2. Command macrumors regular

Command

Probably the best help you'll find.

https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Tip - Be sure to use Bootcamp Assistant to both create AND destroy any Windows partitions you might make (or unmake). The default 20GB partition it offers first is not big enough. Make sure you know your Windows requirements.

----------

Be sure your USB is formatted correctly. Once you format, download bootcamp utilities (via assistant) and put the proper bootable ISO (retail) on the drive, it should come up to the BIOS / Dos start up and begin the Windows installation where you'll first have to format the BOOTCAMP partition to use it for Windows.

8.1 can be tricky, that much I've heard...