Installing Windows 8.1 Pro over Windows 8.1 standard

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jent, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I work at a small nonprofit and have essentially become the unofficial IT guy, as we don't really have any true IT people here—we're too small and lack funds, so this falls solely on me.

We have a Microsoft Volume License for fifty installations of each Microsoft product (Windows, Office, et cetera) and download the installation .ISOs from the Microsoft Volume License Service Center website.

Whether the PC started with Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 standard (my memory may be slightly off), my question is if I can take the Windows 8.1 Pro installation .ISO and install over the current installation of Windows 8.1 standard, without losing any files, programs, or settings.

Thanks for any help!

2. charlien macrumors regular

You may be able to just enter the license key following the add new features wizard. I'm not sure you can do that with a VL version.

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

I tried that and Windows told me "That key won't work." I'm a bit confused by all this.

4. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

You need to find the SLMGR commands to install a VLK key. Doing it the normal way will not work.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's a reinstall with "save settings". VL key install is different from retail media with Windows 8/8.1. For instance you can't install Media Center on a VL version, the option isn't there. And if it was installed as 8.0 retail, like a OEM install you can't key upgrade to 8.1. Retail install won;t understand the VL bits.

Then there's the MAK or KMS key thing. KMS means you're running the key on a licensing server and MAK keys can be installed on a per-device.